How Janie Chang melds history with folklore in Dragon Springs Road
The author talks about how she wrote her sophomore novel, fox spirits and all.
Kyo Maclear discovers Toronto's avian residents in Birds Art Life
Kyo Maclear tells us about the story behind Birds Art Life, her new memoir.
Glenn Dixon listens to the world's love problems for his new book, Juliet's Answer
In Juliet's Answer, a heartbroken Glenn Dixon travels to Verona to find answers about love.
Poet Janet Rogers on reconciliation: Where do we go from here?
Rogers' new poetry collection Totem Poles and Railroads explores the dysfunctional relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in Canada.
How Gwen Benaway faces her transgender future in her new poetry collection
The poet reflects on working with Katherena Vermette on her sophomore poetry collection, Passage.
Arthur Bear Chief on the devastating experience of writing about being a residential school student
From age seven to 17, Arthur Bear Chief experienced sexual and psychological abuse under Canada's residential school system.
How a Kids in the Hall superfan turned his obsession into a book
Arts journalist John Semley tells us the story behind his new book, This Is a Book About the Kids in the Hall.
The 150-page poem that Moez Surani spent four years writing
Moez Surani's 150-page poem, ةيلمع Operación Opération Operation 行 动 Oперация, speaks to a history of world violence.
Mean Girls actor Rajiv Surendra confronts failure in new memoir
The Elephants in My Backyard traces Surendra's journey from Mean Girls to his pursuit to star in Life of Pi.
How Lazer Lederhendler translated his way to a literary win for The Party Wall
The 2016 Governor General's Literary Award winner for translation talks about the craft of translating an "off-the-wall" book.
How Tokyo Digs a Garden grew into an award-winning picture book
The author and illustrator of Tokyo Digs a Garden, Jon-Erik Lappano and Kellen Hatanaka, reflect on how their stunning children's book came to be.
This Is That hosts Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring pen Canadian travel guide
The toughest part of writing the travel guide? Spelling the names of Canadian places, like Pekwachnamaykoskwaskwaypinwanik Lake.
Michael Fraser: How I wrote the poem that won the 2016 CBC Poetry Prize
The winner of the 2016 CBC Poetry Prize talks about how he crafted his powerful poem "African Canadian in Union Blue."
"Theatre should be difficult": Colleen Murphy on her award-winning play Pig Girl
The 2016 Governor General's Literary Award winner for drama reflects on her harrowing exploration of violence.
Poet Gregory Scofield on telling untold stories and urgent truths
Gregory Scofield's poetry is informed by the experiences of two important women in his life: his mom and aunty.
How Bill Waiser turned Saskatchewan history on its head in his award-winning book
A World We Have Lost, the 2016 Governor General's Literary Award winner for nonfiction, lets the voiceless players in history tell the story.
How Martine Leavitt took a beloved comic strip and ended up with a YA novel
The author of the Governor General's Literary Award winner Calvin on writing about mental illness through the lens of her favourite comic.
How Willow Dawson's wilderness upbringing inspired her picture book, The Wolf-Birds
Willow Dawson discusses the writing and illustrations behind her book The Wolf-Birds.
Steven Heighton on respecting your poetic elders, both real and imagined
The author of The Waking Comes Late, the 2016 Governor General's Literary Award winner for poetry, on the diverse voices that populate the book.
Gary Barwin on fighting tragedy with humour
Yiddish for Pirates is a finalist for the 2016 Scotiabank Giller Prize.
- How Emma Donoghue found the "now" in her historical novel The Wonder
- Deborah Campbell shares the story of her fixer's disappearance in Syria
- How Melanie Florence and François Thisdale wrote a picture book about missing and murdered Indigenous women
- How Catherine Leroux ripped fiction from the headlines in The Party Wall
- How Noah Richler ran for political office, and ended up with a memoir
- Madeleine Thien on the unresolved questions at the heart of Do Not Say We Have Nothing
- Jan Zwicky on patiently waiting for a signal
- How Michelle Barker made family history come alive
- How Drew Hayden Taylor married Indigenous stories with sci-fi, and found a perfect match
- Harold Johnson wants to talk about alcohol in his Indigenous community
- Alexandra Shimo spent months on the Kashechewan reserve. The experience left her with PTSD.
- Kenneth Oppel on his YA thriller The Nest, where normal is scary
- How Carolyn Beck took a hike and came back with a children's book
- Marni Jackson imagines encounters with Taylor Swift, Leonard Cohen in new book
- How Kenneth Oppel searched for dinosaurs and uncovered a romance in Every Hidden Thing
- How Leslie A. Davidson turned her most painful memories into a prize-winning story
- How Katherena Vermette turned a terrible vision into a visionary debut novel
- Adwoa Badoe draws upon university memories in Ghana for novel about 1981 coup
- Johnnie Christmas brings Margaret Atwood's cat/bird/human vision to life
- Anosh Irani on the universal search for home
- M-E Girard on finding the flow in a tidal wave of revisions
- Zoe Whittall on finding the right voice(s) in her new novel, The Best Kind of People
- Steven Price on turning tough childhood experiences into really deep characters
- How Kevin Patterson brought Afghanistan's brutal chaos to life
- How leaving Nairobi (and coming back) helped Iman Verjee write her new novel
- Andrew Westoll on studying monkeys in a South American jungle
- Pascal Girard on the autobiographical book that accidentally launched his comics career
- M.E. Reid on putting autism in the spotlight
- Nathan Niigan Noodin Adler on writing an Indigenous horror story
- Robert Moor on his obsession with trails
- Nicola Harwood on writing under a freeway and the ethics of memoir
- Ryan North promises you a satisfying death in new Romeo and Juliet chooseable-path adventure
- Griffin Poetry Prize winner Liz Howard on the indelible mark of northern Ontario
- Lori Weber on true hockey story behind Lightning Lou
- Kim Fu on why she envies teenage poets
- Amy Jones on finding the humour in family drama
- How Erin Klassen turned messy feelings into microfiction
- Iain Reid on pitching his book idea to a sheep
- Rebecca Roher on her unlikely protagonist: her grandmother
- Duncan McCue on discovering his Indigenous identity as a teenager on the trapline
- Lisa Bird-Wilson on the role of art in reconciliation
- Rivka Galchen on the surprising overlap of motherhood and writerhood
- Patrick Kyle on his unconventional haunted house tale, Don't Come in Here
- How Patrick Crowe wrote a graphic novel about Susanna Moodie with Carol Shields
- Yasuko Thanh on filling the gaps of her father's memory
- Claudia Casper tackles PTSD, genocide and climate change in new dystopian novel
- Nicole Markotić on being whelmed by words
- Ann Y.K. Choi on telling Korean-Canadian stories
- Wesley King on writing about OCD
- How Vivek Shraya turned lived racism into poetry
- Matti Friedman: How I wrote about my time as an Israeli soldier
- Soraya Peerbaye on writing poetry about the murder of Reena Virk
- Teva Harrison: How I wrote about my incurable cancer
- Diane Schoemperlen on writing a memoir about falling in love with a prison inmate
- Craig Davidson: My year driving a special-needs school bus
- David Huebert: How I wrote the winning entry in the 2016 CBC Short Story Prize
- Ray Robertson: How I wrote Lives of the Poets (with Guitars)
- Julie Doucet: How I wrote Carpet Sweeper Tales
- How Andrew Sullivan wrote one of the most violent novels CanLit has ever seen
- Mona Awad: How I wrote 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl
- Anita Rau Badami: How I wrote The Hero's Walk
- Peter Behrens: How I channeled my family's wartime ghosts in Carry Me
- Saleema Nawaz: How Bone and Bread had the most Montreal of origins
- Michael Winter: How I wrote Minister Without Portfolio
- Judy Batalion: How I wrote about my mother's hoarding
- Tracey Lindberg: How I wrote Birdie
- Lawrence Hill: How I wrote The Illegal
- Lawrence Hill on editing his sister's novel, Café Babanussa, after her death
- Chris Oliveros: How I wrote The Envelope Manufacturer
- Eisha Marjara: How I wrote Faerie
- John Irving: How I wrote Avenue of Mysteries
- Emma Donoghue: How I wrote Room, the movie
- Anakana Schofield: How I wrote Martin John
- Clifford Jackman: How I wrote The Winter Family
- Liz Worth: How I wrote No Work Finished Here
- Jon Chan Simpson: How I wrote Chinkstar
- Elizabeth Abbott: How I Wrote Dogs & Underdogs
- Eric Siblin: How I Wrote Studio Grace
- John Farrow: How I wrote The Storm Murders
- Debra Komar: How I wrote The Bastard of Fort Stikine
- Guy Vanderhaeghe: How I wrote Daddy Lenin and Other Stories
- Susan Glickman: How I Wrote Safe as Houses
- Nick Cutter: How I Wrote The Acolyte
- Dakota McFadzean: How I wrote Don't Get Eaten By Anything
- Robert Hough: How I wrote The Man Who Saved Henry Morgan
- Dave Carpenter: How I co-wrote The Education of Augie Merasty
- André Alexis: How I wrote Fifteen Dogs
- D.W. Wilson: How I wrote "Mountain Under Sea"
- Emily Urquhart: How I wrote Beyond the Pale
- Beth Powning: How I wrote A Measure of Light
- Kim Echlin: How I wrote Under the Visible Life
- Canada Reads contender Kamal Al-Solaylee: How I wrote Intolerable
- Canada Reads contender Raziel Reid: How I wrote When Everything Feels like the Movies
- Thomas King: How I wrote The Inconvenient Indian
- Alix Hawley: How I wrote All True Not a Lie in It
- Canada Reads contender Jocelyne Saucier: How I wrote And the Birds Rained Down
- Canada Reads contender Kim Thuy: How I wrote Ru
- John Vaillant: How I Wrote The Jaguar's Children
- Vivek Shraya: How I wrote She of the Mountains
- Ashley Little: How I Wrote Anatomy of a Girl Gang
- Jennifer Quist: How I wrote Love Letters of the Angels of Death
- Michael Harris: How I wrote The End of Absence
- Joan Thomas: How I wrote The Opening Sky
- Naomi Klein: How I wrote This Changes Everything
- Jacqueline Baker: How I wrote The Broken Hours
- Russell Wangersky: How I wrote Walt
- Carrie Snyder: How I wrote Girl Runner
- Mireille Silcoff: How I wrote Chez l'arabe
- Michael Crummey: How I wrote Sweetland
- George Bowering: How I wrote Mirror on the Floor
- Caroline Adderson: How I wrote Ellen in Pieces
- Marissa Stapley: How I wrote Mating for Life
- Guillaume Morissette: How I wrote New Tab
- Adam Sol: How I wrote Complicity
- Mariko Tamaki: How I wrote This One Summer
- Kate Pullinger: How I wrote Landing Gear
- Padma Viswanathan: How I Wrote The Ever After of Ashwin Rao
- Alexi Zentner: How I wrote The Lobster Kings
- Emma Donoghue: How I wrote Frog Music
- Sean Michaels: How I wrote Us Conductors
- Claire Cameron: How I wrote The Bear