How Michael Kaan gets to the heart of the horror of WWII in his new novel
The Water Beetles is inspired by the diaries of his Hong Kong father that were written during the Second World War.
How Alix Hawley wrote the story that won the CBC Short Story Prize
The winner of the 2017 CBC Short Story Prize tells us how she wrote "Witching."
How a bad day at work was the push Omar El Akkad needed
The former Globe and Mail journalist discusses the creative process behind his buzzy debut novel, American War.
How growing up during the Cold War inspired Terri Favro's new novel
Terri Favro discusses the creation of her time-bending new novel, Sputnik's Children.
Why Phoebe Wang explores Canada's landscape in her poetry
Growing up in Ottawa, Phoebe Wang felt a disconnect to her environment. Her debut poetry collection Admission Requirements explores the stories of that landscape.
How Meredith May chronicled the unlikely friendship of an Iranian child soldier and Iraqi soldier
Zahed Haftlang and Najah Aboud were enemies on the battlefield in 1982. They crossed paths again, years later in Vancouver. Meredith May documents their journey in I, Who Did Not Die.
Emily Nilsen on how a longing for the B.C. coast inspired her new collection
Emily Nilsen takes us behind the scenes of her new poetry book, Otolith.
How a great loss inspired Lorina Mapa's graphic memoir of growing up in the Philippines
Quebec artist Lorina Mapa's first book, Duran Duran, Imelda Marcos and Me, explores her 1980s upbringing in the Philippines.
Why Lori McNulty sees Mars as a metaphor for the human experience
Lori McNulty explains the backstory behind her debut short story collection, Life on Mars.
Marianne Apostolides explores the grief of abortion in new memoir
Marianne Apostolides discusses the creative process behind her memoir Deep Salt Water.
Jesse Ruddock on how dreams and diving deep inspired her debut novel
Jesse Ruddock delves into the creative process behind Shot-Blue, about a boy that grows up on a remote lake in the wilderness.
M.G. Vassanji on how an idle thought grew into several big ideas
The Canada Reads author reveals the creative process behind Nostalgia.
Carrie Mac on tough teenage critics and why she doesn't believe in writers' block
The former CBC Literary Prize winner describes the genesis of her latest book, 10 Things I Can See From Here.
How Zoey Leigh Peterson wrote a novel about an open relationship that's not really about an open relationship
Zoey Leigh Peterson reveals how she wrote her compelling debut novel, Next Year, For Sure.
How Elan Mastai time-warped his way to a debut novel
Are we living in someone else's dystopia? That's the question at the heart of All Our Wrong Todays.
Madeline Ashby on building worlds, brave characters and muscles
Madeline Ashby tells us the story behind her book Company Town, which will be defended on Canada Reads 2017 by Tamara Taylor.
Why it took Eden Robinson eight years to write her new novel
The acclaimed author of Monkey Beach on the complicated genesis of her long-awaited new novel, Son of a Trickster.
Monia Mazigh on how fearful memories inspired her hopeful new novel
Monia Mazigh tells the story of two women in two political uprisings in Tunisia in her new novel, Hope Has Two Daughters.
Steph Jagger on muses, meditation and knowing when you're done
Steph Jagger's memoir, Unbound, chronicles the year she spent skiing around the world.
Anna Pitoniak on how an unfinished journal became a novel
The author of The Futures reveals how her debut novel came from a failed diary.
- The Abominable Mr. Seabrook: How Joe Ollmann wrote his first graphic biography
- Why historian Karolyn Smardz Frost tells the stories of freedom seekers
- Lawrence Millman on why he couldn't leave the present out of the past
- How Janie Chang melds history with folklore in Dragon Springs Road
- Kyo Maclear discovers Toronto's avian residents in Birds Art Life
- Glenn Dixon listens to the world's love problems for his new book, Juliet's Answer
- Poet Janet Rogers on reconciliation: Where do we go from here?
- How Gwen Benaway faces her transgender future in her new poetry collection
- Arthur Bear Chief on the devastating experience of writing about being a residential school student
- How a Kids in the Hall superfan turned his obsession into a book
- The 150-page poem that Moez Surani spent four years writing
- Mean Girls actor Rajiv Surendra confronts failure in new memoir
- How Lazer Lederhendler translated his way to a literary win for The Party Wall
- How Tokyo Digs a Garden grew into an award-winning picture book
- This Is That hosts Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring pen Canadian travel guide
- Michael Fraser: How I wrote the poem that won the 2016 CBC Poetry Prize
- "Theatre should be difficult": Colleen Murphy on her award-winning play Pig Girl
- Poet Gregory Scofield on telling untold stories and urgent truths
- How Bill Waiser turned Saskatchewan history on its head in his award-winning book
- How Martine Leavitt took a beloved comic strip and ended up with a YA novel
- How Willow Dawson's wilderness upbringing inspired her picture book, The Wolf-Birds
- Steven Heighton on respecting your poetic elders, both real and imagined
- Gary Barwin on fighting tragedy with humour
- How Emma Donoghue found the "now" in her historical novel The Wonder
- Deborah Campbell shares the story of her fixer's disappearance in Syria
- How Melanie Florence and François Thisdale wrote a picture book about missing and murdered Indigenous women
- How Catherine Leroux ripped fiction from the headlines in The Party Wall
- How Noah Richler ran for political office, and ended up with a memoir
- Madeleine Thien on the unresolved questions at the heart of Do Not Say We Have Nothing
- Jan Zwicky on patiently waiting for a signal
- How Michelle Barker made family history come alive
- How Drew Hayden Taylor married Indigenous stories with sci-fi, and found a perfect match
- Harold Johnson wants to talk about alcohol in his Indigenous community
- Alexandra Shimo spent months on the Kashechewan reserve. The experience left her with PTSD.
- Kenneth Oppel on his YA thriller The Nest, where normal is scary
- How Carolyn Beck took a hike and came back with a children's book
- Marni Jackson imagines encounters with Taylor Swift, Leonard Cohen in new book
- How Kenneth Oppel searched for dinosaurs and uncovered a romance in Every Hidden Thing
- How Leslie A. Davidson turned her most painful memories into a prize-winning story
- How Katherena Vermette turned a terrible vision into a visionary debut novel
- Adwoa Badoe draws upon university memories in Ghana for novel about 1981 coup
- Johnnie Christmas brings Margaret Atwood's cat/bird/human vision to life
- Anosh Irani on the universal search for home
- M-E Girard on finding the flow in a tidal wave of revisions
- Zoe Whittall on finding the right voice(s) in her new novel, The Best Kind of People
- Steven Price on turning tough childhood experiences into really deep characters
- How Kevin Patterson brought Afghanistan's brutal chaos to life
- How leaving Nairobi (and coming back) helped Iman Verjee write her new novel
- Andrew Westoll on studying monkeys in a South American jungle
- Pascal Girard on the autobiographical book that accidentally launched his comics career
- M.E. Reid on putting autism in the spotlight
- Nathan Niigan Noodin Adler on writing an Indigenous horror story
- Robert Moor on his obsession with trails
- Nicola Harwood on writing under a freeway and the ethics of memoir
- Ryan North promises you a satisfying death in new Romeo and Juliet chooseable-path adventure
- Griffin Poetry Prize winner Liz Howard on the indelible mark of northern Ontario
- Lori Weber on true hockey story behind Lightning Lou
- Kim Fu on why she envies teenage poets
- Amy Jones on finding the humour in family drama
- How Erin Klassen turned messy feelings into microfiction
- Iain Reid on pitching his book idea to a sheep
- Rebecca Roher on her unlikely protagonist: her grandmother
- Duncan McCue on discovering his Indigenous identity as a teenager on the trapline
- Lisa Bird-Wilson on the role of art in reconciliation
- Rivka Galchen on the surprising overlap of motherhood and writerhood
- Patrick Kyle on his unconventional haunted house tale, Don't Come in Here
- How Patrick Crowe wrote a graphic novel about Susanna Moodie with Carol Shields
- Yasuko Thanh on filling the gaps of her father's memory
- Claudia Casper tackles PTSD, genocide and climate change in new dystopian novel
- Nicole Markotić on being whelmed by words
- Ann Y.K. Choi on telling Korean-Canadian stories
- Wesley King on writing about OCD
- How Vivek Shraya turned lived racism into poetry
- Matti Friedman: How I wrote about my time as an Israeli soldier
- Soraya Peerbaye on writing poetry about the murder of Reena Virk
- Teva Harrison: How I wrote about my incurable cancer
- Diane Schoemperlen on writing a memoir about falling in love with a prison inmate
- Craig Davidson: My year driving a special-needs school bus
- David Huebert: How I wrote the winning entry in the 2016 CBC Short Story Prize
- Ray Robertson: How I wrote Lives of the Poets (with Guitars)
- Julie Doucet: How I wrote Carpet Sweeper Tales
- How Andrew Sullivan wrote one of the most violent novels CanLit has ever seen
- Mona Awad: How I wrote 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl
- Anita Rau Badami: How I wrote The Hero's Walk
- Peter Behrens: How I channeled my family's wartime ghosts in Carry Me
- Saleema Nawaz: How Bone and Bread had the most Montreal of origins
- Michael Winter: How I wrote Minister Without Portfolio
- Judy Batalion: How I wrote about my mother's hoarding
- Tracey Lindberg: How I wrote Birdie
- Lawrence Hill: How I wrote The Illegal
- Lawrence Hill on editing his sister's novel, Café Babanussa, after her death
- Chris Oliveros: How I wrote The Envelope Manufacturer
- Eisha Marjara: How I wrote Faerie
- John Irving: How I wrote Avenue of Mysteries
- Emma Donoghue: How I wrote Room, the movie
- Anakana Schofield: How I wrote Martin John
- Clifford Jackman: How I wrote The Winter Family
- Liz Worth: How I wrote No Work Finished Here
- Jon Chan Simpson: How I wrote Chinkstar
- Elizabeth Abbott: How I Wrote Dogs & Underdogs
- Eric Siblin: How I Wrote Studio Grace
- John Farrow: How I wrote The Storm Murders
- Debra Komar: How I wrote The Bastard of Fort Stikine
- Guy Vanderhaeghe: How I wrote Daddy Lenin and Other Stories
- Susan Glickman: How I Wrote Safe as Houses
- Nick Cutter: How I Wrote The Acolyte
- Dakota McFadzean: How I wrote Don't Get Eaten By Anything
- Robert Hough: How I wrote The Man Who Saved Henry Morgan
- Dave Carpenter: How I co-wrote The Education of Augie Merasty
- How André Alexis wrote Fifteen Dogs
- D.W. Wilson: How I wrote "Mountain Under Sea"
- Emily Urquhart: How I wrote Beyond the Pale
- Beth Powning: How I wrote A Measure of Light
- Kim Echlin: How I wrote Under the Visible Life
- Canada Reads contender Kamal Al-Solaylee: How I wrote Intolerable
- Canada Reads contender Raziel Reid: How I wrote When Everything Feels like the Movies
- Thomas King: How I wrote The Inconvenient Indian
- Alix Hawley: How I wrote All True Not a Lie in It
- Canada Reads contender Jocelyne Saucier: How I wrote And the Birds Rained Down
- Canada Reads contender Kim Thuy: How I wrote Ru
- John Vaillant: How I Wrote The Jaguar's Children
- Vivek Shraya: How I wrote She of the Mountains
- Ashley Little: How I Wrote Anatomy of a Girl Gang
- Jennifer Quist: How I wrote Love Letters of the Angels of Death
- Michael Harris: How I wrote The End of Absence
- Joan Thomas: How I wrote The Opening Sky
- Naomi Klein: How I wrote This Changes Everything
- Jacqueline Baker: How I wrote The Broken Hours
- Russell Wangersky: How I wrote Walt
- Carrie Snyder: How I wrote Girl Runner
- Mireille Silcoff: How I wrote Chez l'arabe
- Michael Crummey: How I wrote Sweetland
- George Bowering: How I wrote Mirror on the Floor
- Caroline Adderson: How I wrote Ellen in Pieces
- Marissa Stapley: How I wrote Mating for Life
- Guillaume Morissette: How I wrote New Tab
- Adam Sol: How I wrote Complicity
- Mariko Tamaki: How I wrote This One Summer
- Kate Pullinger: How I wrote Landing Gear
- Padma Viswanathan: How I Wrote The Ever After of Ashwin Rao
- Alexi Zentner: How I wrote The Lobster Kings
- Emma Donoghue: How I wrote Frog Music
- Sean Michaels: How I wrote Us Conductors
- Claire Cameron: How I wrote The Bear