Sunday, May 25, 2014 |
(Paul Schiraldi/Netflix/Associated Press)
This fall, fans of Orange is the New Black can show their admiration by cooking the meals from the book and TV series. Orange is the New Black: The Cookbook will have 65 recipes inspired by the infamous prison kitchen, including Prison Punch, Red's Chicken Kiev and Miss Claudette's Coconut Cake.
Orange is the New Black isn't alone when it comes to inspiring spin-off cookbooks. From the wonderful to the weird, check out five more below.
1. The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory - More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Muggles and Wizards by Dinah Butchoz
Harry's Treacle Tart, Mrs. Weasley's Molly's Meat Pies, Kreacher's French Onion Soup and Pumpkin Pasties from the Hogwarts Express cart are just some of these delicious recipes straight out of the Harry Potter universe.
2. Fifty Shades of Chicken: A Parody in a Cookbook by F.L. Fowler
This cookbook is a parody, not a spin-off, but we had to include it. The cookbook has the same sexually charged language, but it's used in the context of cooking chicken. It's time to baste those dripping hot chicken thighs and turn the heat up in the...kitchen.
3. The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to Groosling by Emily Ansara Baines
This unconventional cookbook includes French Bread from the Mellark Family Bakery, Katniss's Favorite Lamb Stew with Dried Plums, Rue's Roasted Parsnips, Gale's Bone-Pickin' Big Game Soup and Capitol-Grade Dark Chocolate Cake.
4. A Taste of Murder: Diabolically Delicious Recipes from Contemporary Mystery Writers by Jo Grossman
This cookbook contains meals inspired by an entire genre, with Sue Grafton's PI special: The Kinsey Millhone Famous Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich, Tony Hillerman-inspired Salami à la Chama River and John Dortmunder's May's Mother's Tuna Casserole.
5. Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle
If cooking isn't your bag, try these cocktails with a literary twist: The Pitcher of Dorian Grey Goose, The Last of the Mojitos, Love in the Time of Kahlúa, Romeo and Julep, A Rum of One's Own, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margarita and Vermouth the Bell Tolls.