Millennials value home ownership as much as most Canadians, CIBC poll suggests
CIBC executive says it's a myth that young people don't want to own their own home
A new poll by CIBC suggests home ownership is just as important to millennials as it is to most Canadians.
- GTA homes, rent getting less affordable for more people
- Canada's average house price rises 7% to $419,699
- Are young homeowners doomed if housing prices drop?
The survey shows 86 per cent of millennials view home ownership as important even though 42 per cent of them are renting and 21 per cent live with their parents.
Overall, according to the poll, 85 per cent of Canadians consider home ownership a priority.
'Our poll suggests that millennials place as much importance on being a home owner as Canadians in other age groups.' - Barry Gollom, CIBC executive
Of those, 63 per cent say it makes financial sense to build equity and save for retirement while 59 per cent of millennials in the 18 to 34 age group say home ownership provides a sense of personal freedom.
Conversely, 15 per cent of Canadians say home ownership is not important, with nearly half saying it's too big of a financial burden
Barry Gollom, vice-president of mortgages and lending at CIBC, says it's a myth that millennials don't want to own their own home.
"In fact, our poll suggests that millennials place as much importance on being a home owner as Canadians in other age groups," he said.
"Home ownership is an important milestone to many, and that hasn't changed even though it has become increasingly difficult to get into the market."
The survey, conducted March 14 and 15, queried 1,517 randomly selected adults who are Angus Reid forum panellists.
The results are considered accurate to within plus or minus 2.5 per cent 19 times out of 20.
Popular in News
1 1332 reading now Professor put on leave after allegedly mocking U of G student with 'severe anxiety'
- 2 866 reading now Abandoned Toronto newborn's condition worsens as police seek mother
- 3 830 reading now Australia complains to WTO about Canadian rules on selling wine
- 4 746 reading now California mother of 13 children held captive had no idea why police were at her home
- 5 735 reading now 'Chains and padlocks': California police say parents shackled their children to beds