Lost Nova Scotia woman found 'cold and frightened' in P.E.I.
Woman unhurt after 12-hour 'ordeal' lost in National Park
A 42-year-old woman from Nova Scotia who got lost in the woods in Prince Edward Island was found early this morning in the Brackley Beach area, cold and scared but unhurt.
- P.E.I. SARscene conference sharpens search and rescue skills
- Covehead bridge site of search and rescue operation
The woman's husband called Queens District RCMP early Tuesday morning reporting her missing, police said in a written release. The man said he had spoken with his wife at about 6:00 p.m. Monday evening. She explained she was walking near the beach on the north shore but had become lost, and her cellphone battery was dying.
"When he didn't hear from his wife within a reasonable time, he called RCMP," said Sgt. Leanne Butler.
"Using Global Positioning System (GPS) technology, the RCMP was able to find her vehicle in a parking lot inside the National Park in the Brackley Beach area and began a search."
The RCMP police dog service, a P.E.I. Ground Search and Rescue team and Parks Canada employees helped in the search for the woman, who is an avid walker and experienced hiker.
At about 6:00 a.m. Tuesday, as the sun came up, she was able to walk to the nearest road where she was found by one of the RCMP officers.
The woman was "cold and frightened from the ordeal, but otherwise unhurt," said RCMP.
She was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital as a precaution and later released.
"RCMP thank everyone involved in the search and are thankful for a positive outcome," Butler said.
Popular in News
1 841 reading now Hollywood star Kristen Stewart crashes Winnipeg wedding
- 2 656 reading now Mother says doctor suggested ending her daughter's life while daughter was listening
- 3 570 reading now Stinging 'floating terror' spotted in Nova Scotia waters
- 4 558 reading now 'Act like you're tanning': Homeless Banff worker spends days in park, nights in McDonald's
- 5 297 reading now U.S. army medic has no regrets about saving Omar Khadr's life