Has Anne of Green Gables 'gone Hollywood'?
'It looks like they're trying to make her look more glamorous or prettier or something'
When we think of Anne of Green Gables, some of the characteristics that stand out are her red hair, pigtails, light complexion, freckles and feisty demeanour.
Netflix, in a poster promoting the eight-hour series Anne for an American audience, has given Anne Shirley a makeover.
Gone are many of Anne's freckles and she appears to have acquired a bit of a tan.
The series is set to begin streaming May 12 in the United States. The Netflix poster is a version of the one CBC uses to promote the show, which first aired on March 19.
Not everyone is happy with the makeover, as comments on social media clearly show.
People on the streets of Charlottetown also weighed in on Anne's new look. Anne is played by 14-year-old Irish actress Amybeth McNulty.
"Oh wow. Yeah, that is very different," said David Ramsay. "They've kind of gotten rid of the freckles, which is kind of iconic … She's about being yourself, so, they've kind of changed what the original intent was."
Gillian Marchbank added that she prefers Anne with freckles.
"It looks like they're trying to make her look more glamorous or prettier or something," she said.
Martha Jewell said she preferred the Netflix version.
"The grey [background] kind of makes it seem dark," she said.
In terms of enhancing Anne's appearance on the Netflix poster, Jewell was indifferent.
"Pretty harmless," she said.
Joanne Mulley said the Netflix poster makes Anne look "Hollywood."
"It's not the cute Anne," she said.
The original poster CBC used to promote the series is "true to form," Mulley said.
"It's who she is. It's natural. It's representative of Anne."
A media spokesperson for Netflix in the U.S. said on Saturday that the company was declining to comment for this story.
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | Future looking brighter for schoolhouse where L.M. Montgomery taught
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | P.E.I.'s Adam Brazier: A few of his favourite things
Popular in News
1 4061 reading now Ontario releases its annual Sunshine List of top public sector salaries
- 2 2668 reading now Search Ontario's 2017 Sunshine List for yourself
- 3 996 reading now Kaetlyn Osmond wins figure skating worlds, 1st Canadian female champ in 45 years
- 4 594 reading now Naked images from website haunt New Brunswick woman 5 years later
- 5 396 reading now United Airlines gives $10,000 voucher to traveller on overbooked flight