Family Day: What's open and closed in Ottawa
February 11, 2016
Family Day on Feb. 15 is a provincial holiday in Ontario, meaning Quebec has a normal business schedule and federal government operations are running. But there are some closures and schedule changes to keep in mind in Ottawa.
- The Rideau Canal is open on Family Day, the final day of Winterlude, weather permitting.
- Rink of Dreams at Ottawa City Hall is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Mayor Jim Watson is hosting the annual family day skating party from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and it includes free hot chocolate.
- The skating court at Lansdowne Park is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- The Ben Franklin Place skating rink at 101 Centrepointe Dr., is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Most museums, including the Canadian War Museum, the National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian Museum of Nature are open.
- The Barbara Ann Scott Gallery, Karsh Masson Gallery and OAG Annex at City Hall are open.
- OC Transpo will operate a revised weekday schedule with minor reductions.
- Para Transpo will operate on a holiday service schedule.
- All City of Ottawa parking regulations and restrictions apply on Family Day.
- The Rideau Centre is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Stores in the ByWard Market are also open.
- Select Wine Rack locations are open (54 Byward Market, 277 Elgin St. and 363 Rideau St.).
- Select grocery stores are open (Loblaws at 363 Rideau St. and Metro at 245 Rideau St.).
- Most recreation facilities will be modifying their hours of operation. Please check schedules at ottawa.ca.
- All LCBO and Beer Store locations are closed.
- Most grocery stores are closed.
- Most malls are closed, including Bayshore, St. Laurent, Place d'Orleans, Tanger Outlets and Carlingwood.
- All Ottawa Public Library branches, as well as city archives services, are closed.
- City of Ottawa client service centres and daycare centres are closed.
- There will be no curbside garbage, green bin, recycling or bulky item collection. Pick-up will resume on Feb. 16, but collection will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
- Provincial courthouse is closed.
Popular in News
1 1246 reading now 2 dead in shooting at North York bowling alley
- 2 1004 reading now Trump fires back at fired FBI official McCabe over memos
- 3 922 reading now Firing Ms. X: Ottawa's whistleblower law takes down a boss for bad behaviour
- 4 642 reading now The dirty truth about makeup and the oil change debate: CBC's Marketplace consumer cheat sheet
- 5 493 reading now One of the driest places on Earth struggles to safeguard its most precious resource: water