Residents wary of feds' motive to investigate Manolis L
The Canadian Coast Guard is looking at conducting an in-depth investigation of the Manolis L, the sunken vessel in Notre Dame Bay holding an estimated 450 tonnes of fuel.
- Solution may be in sight for leaking Manolis L, minister says
- Twillingate, Ottawa protests want oil-leaking Manolis L cleaned up
An investigation would determine the status of the ship's hull, and identify where the leak is coming from. Fisheries Minister Gail Shea announced last week that the coast guard is consulting companies that specialize in marine salvage.
Local residents have long feared that a massive oil spill from the Manolis L is imminent. While some are applauding Ottawa's plan for a technical assessment, they are also concerned that it's a ploy to attract votes.
"I don't see any sort of timeline when they're going to do it. Is it going to be 2015, is it going to be next year? It doesn't go far enough," said Caroline Parsons, co-chair of the Manolis L Citizens Response Committee in an interview with CBC Radio.
Possible campaign tactic
Parsons said that, with a federal election around the corner, some residents are skeptical whether anything will come from an investigation.
"For us it means nothing. I don't think you can get a single vote out of this. It's nothing substantial and it's late in the game. Meanwhile we're still waiting," she said.
Parsons is also concerned that an expert analysis commissioned by the committee has found the vessel's hull to be wearing thin.
"She's degrading there and time is our thing. We have to get this done before she cracks open and spoils everything out there," she said.
"Press releases are great but we'd like to see some action."
Popular in News
1 2384 reading now Homicide investigators take lead in Barry and Honey Sherman case
- 2 531 reading now North Bay grandparents being sued for child support
- 3 473 reading now Family of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman slams rumours circulating ahead of autopsy results
- 4 401 reading now Actresses call out Matt Damon for sexual harassment comments
- 5 292 reading now Bell, Telus, Rogers price wars drop cellphone data plans to $60 for 10GB