Research project to harvest rainwater in Black Tickle
Research team installing systems in Black Tickle.
A new research project aims to harvest rainwater for the Labrador community of Black Tickle.
- Red Cross flying bottled water in to Black Tickle
- Black Tickle residents drinking bog water, Lisa Dempster says
Maura Hanrahan, the primary investigator on the project, says it's an experiment using cheap, simple technology that may solve some of Black Tickle's waters woes.
The community of about 140 must transport clean water from a nearby treatment plant. When that plant was temporarily shut down in 2014, residents were forced to collect water from ponds and drain-off ditches.
It is "physically difficult and onerous" for residents to collect water from the treatment facility, Hanrahan said. Some homes are up to a mile away from the facility and the journey is often made on snowmobiles and ATVs.
Serious health concern
Hanrahan described the collection system as an upside down umbrella that catches water. There are currently seven systems, with two containers and two saucers in each one.
The water collected won't be fit to drink, but will provide 'general use water' that will cut down on the number of trips that residents need to make to the plant, Hanrahan explained.
She said that the current situation in Black Tickle is a serious health concern, and while the rainwater experiment is not a long term solution, it may help.
"I've been working with the community for years on and off, and I've seen a lot of resilience, but on the other hand the United Nations says that access to water is a human right, so why should people have to be so resilient?" she said.
"This is is real community health problem. It is very serious."
Check out Rainwater Harvesting in Black Tickle, Labrador: A Water Security Project for more information.
Popular in News
1 803 reading now Barenaked Ladies, Steven Page aim to 'remember the past without getting mired in it' at Junos
- 2 723 reading now It's official — the Harper government muzzled scientists. Some say it's still happening
- 3 521 reading now Hold on to the whole rim or don't win, lifelong Tim Hortons customer learns
- 4 424 reading now Former Playboy model says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- 5 405 reading now Tories force all-night votes in bid to force testimony from PM's adviser