Central Newfoundland went nearly a year without chemical water testing, says Eddie Joyce
Minister of Municipal Affairs says water no danger to public health
A nearly one year interruption in chemical water testing in central Newfoundland is no cause for concern, says Municipal Affairs and Environment Minister Eddie Joyce.
At the House of Assembly Wednesday, Joyce said despite a lack of testing since June 2016, there is no risk to public health.
He said bacteria tests carried on uninterrupted during the same time period and those tests would have caught any dangers the water presented to the public.
An investigation into why this happened is ongoing.
"It was a case where the tests weren't performed. There was an issue that came to our attention last week. We investigated and we finally got it confirmed yesterday that it wasn't done," he said.
"We will get to the bottom of it and we will ensure there will be safety measures put in place so this doesn't happen again."
In the meantime, chemical testing has begun at the 107 water supplies from Baie Verte to Gander that make up the central region.
Joyce said results from those tests will be made available within seven to 10 business days.
Popular in News
1 1517 reading now Canada is 'work in progress,' Justin Trudeau tells UN General Assembly
- 2 790 reading now Fast-food restaurants closing as Quebec unemployment rate nears all-time low
- 3 686 reading now Calgary Flames reveal $275M offer, saying they're scrapping pursuit of new arena
- 4 593 reading now Residential school runaway remembers harrowing journey that killed his two friends
- 5 478 reading now Puerto Rico could be without power for months after Hurricane Maria stuns island