Hundreds require medical attention during steamy Montreal half-marathon
20 taken by ambulance to medical tent, 1 to hospital on unusually hot September day
Almost 900 people received medical attention as 10-kilometre and half-marathon events took place in Montreal under blazing heat, the event's medical co-ordinator said Sunday.
The shorter events were still held even after organizers of the Rock 'n' Roll Oasis Montreal Marathon cancelled the full 42.2-kilometre run due to concerns over high heat and humidity.
The half-marathon started at 7:30 a.m., an hour earlier than previously scheduled, to avoid the hottest time of day.
Eddy Afram, the medical co-ordinator, said the number of interventions was higher than usual but still in line with the organizers' expectations, given the temperature, which surpassed 30 C by Sunday afternoon.
In comparison, Afram said about 500 to 600 people are usually treated when temperatures are between 15 and 18 C.
Ten ambulances were deployed along the race route and firefighters sprayed runners with water to help them beat the unseasonable heat.
Montreal's half-marathon runners beating the morning heat. pic.twitter.com/xrMwrgVeyW— @mattdamours
About 20 people were transported by ambulance to a medical tent and one person to hospital, Urgences-Santé said.
The condition of the runner who went to hospital is not being made public.
Dr. François De Champlain, the marathon's medical director, said hot days strain runners. The medical team saw people suffering from cramps and dehydration, with some runners collapsing after reaching the finish line, he added.
21 km in about an hour
The half-marathon was won by Kenyan Daniel Gekara with a time of one hour, seven minutes and 56 seconds.
Ethiopians Dadi Beyene and Wendimu Adamu were right behind him, crossing the finish line 10 and 20 seconds later respectively.
About 14,500 people ran in the half-marathon.
About 30,000 were registered for one of the races this weekend before the marathon was cancelled.
- Montreal marathon cancelled due to hot, humid weather
- Marathon runner, 30, dies after Quebec City race
Popular in News
1 2046 reading now RCMP searching for suspect after attempted break-in, gunshot on farm west of North Battleford
- 2 1823 reading now 'We've got a problem here': B.C. civil liberties group concerned doctor fingerprinted to prove his identity
- 3 1302 reading now Rink rescue: RCMP officer helps save Korean boy's life at Olympic hockey game
- 4 874 reading now The burgeoning field of 'family economics' reveals hidden household strife: Don Pittis
- 5 874 reading now Canada raises 'concerns' over Israel's mass deportation plan for African migrants