New lake names honour Manitoba soldiers who died in First World War
Names of 13 soldiers given to lakes near Flin Flon, Man.
A cluster of 13 lakes in northern Manitoba will be named after soldiers who died in the First World War.
The lakes near Flin Flon, Man. are being named after soldiers, the province announced on Monday, as part of the government's recognition of the centennial of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, which began on April 9, 1917.
"That bloody battle on a French escarpment a century ago made the world sit up and take notice of Canada," Premier Brian Pallister said in a news release.
"No longer were we a fledgling member of the Commonwealth; we were a nation, ready to step up and play our role in defending the free world."
Family members of the soldiers were invited to the announcement at the Manitoba Legislature, including Maj. Jason Graveline.
His great-grandfather, Andrew Moreau, died at age 26 on April 29, 1917. Moreau Lake is named after him, and he's also remembered on the Vimy Memorial in the Pas de Calais, France.
"It is very difficult to put into words. It's an incredible honour to be here today representing my great-grandfather, a man who I never knew, but who clearly answered the call in the service of the nation and the King," Graveline said.
"I'm very humbled to be here accepting this on behalf of my family, but I'm also very grateful to the province for recognizing these Manitobans as it did today."
Elaine Neal Carnie said it meant a lot that her great uncle, Allen Fisher, was recognized in his home province.
"There is no grave for him. His name is on the memorial at Vimy but that's sort of the only marker that he was there, that he sacrificed his life for us," she said.
"It was very moving and emotional," Carnie added.
The 13 soldiers and lakes are:
- Sgt. Frederick William Barnes, M.M. (Military Medal); Frederick Barnes Lake
- Pte. Axel Renyus Carlson; Axel Carlson Lake
- Pte. Allen Fisher; Allen Fisher Lake
- Pte. William Harvey McDonald; William H. McDonald Lake
- Pte. Emill Montroy; Montroy Lake
- Pte. Andrew (André) Moreau; Moreau Lake
- Pte. Ernest Albert Proven; Ernest Proven Lake
- Sgt. Harry James Proven; Harry Proven Lake
- Pte. Dorval Augustus Saunders; Dorval Saunders Lake
- Pte. Thor Sigurdson; Thor Sigurdson Lake
- Pte. Iver Bernhardt Werseen; Werseen Lake
- Pte. Thomas Wightman; Thomas Wightman Lake
- Pte. Evared Inkerman Wright; Evared Wright Lake
Popular in News
1 1728 reading now B.C. woman plagued by bedbugs on airplane not surprising, says expert
- 2 1688 reading now How super are those pricey 'superfoods'? Marketplace puts 3 of them to the test
- 3 1012 reading now 'It's a tragedy': How the flawed Motherisk hair test helped fracture families across Canada
- 4 821 reading now Jagmeet Singh needs to get it straight on the Air India bombing: Jonathan Kay
- 5 782 reading now Extended warranties: Sears Canada debacle a lesson in why they rarely pay off