1.5 million Kidde NightHawk smoke detector, carbon monoxide alarms recalled
Recall applies to KN-COSM-IBCA and KN-COSM-ICA models manufactured between June 2004 and March 2011
A national recall has been issued for 1.5 million Kidde smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarms in Canada because they may not chirp in the case of an emergency.
The recall applies to two Kidde NightHawk models that are hard-wired into a home's electricity and were manufactured between June 2004 and March 2011. The affected models are:
- KN-COSM-IBCA, which has a battery backup
- KN-COSM-ICA, which doesn't have a battery backup
The issue is the alarm may no longer chirp in the model with battery backup even after the original batteries have been replaced. In the case of the model without battery backup, the chirp may not work if power is removed and then restored.
"This could lead consumers to believe it is still working, which poses a risk to consumers not being alerted to a fire or carbon monoxide incident in their home," said the Health Canada recall notice.
In Canada, there haven't been any reported incidents, according to Health Canada, but there have been eight in the U.S., where 3.6 million units of the models have been sold. Health Canada did not detail in its recall notice the nature of those incidents, but said there have been no injuries.
The alarms are white, round and measure about 13 to 15 centimetres in diameter. The word Kidde is both on the front and back of the devices, while the manufacturing date is on the back and can be thought of as being in the three or four o'clock spot of a traditional clock.
People with the recalled alarms should stop using them and can contact Kidde for a free replacement or a discount on a new alarm.
Kidde Canada can be contacted at 1-888-784-2323 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday to Friday, or through its website.
Popular in News
1 2038 reading now Jury finds Raymond Cormier not guilty in death of Tina Fontaine
- 2 710 reading now 'My emotions got the better of me': Jocelyne Larocque apologizes for taking off silver medal
- 3 548 reading now America's most wanted deadbeat dad arrested in Calgary area
- 4 382 reading now Armed school officer didn't confront Florida gunman, sheriff says
- 5 313 reading now Alberta ends B.C. wine boycott after B.C. premier announces court action on pipeline standoff