Edmonton school tries to protect students after overdose hits close to home
'You're playing Russian roulette,' school resource officer warns high school students
Calum Whytock was 18 when he drank codeine laced with carfentanil at a house party in April and died within seconds.
His mother, Mioara Whytock, remembers visiting his building that night to find flashing lights and a police officer running into her son's apartment.
"He was dead already," she said about her only child.
"I miss him so much I can't breathe sometimes ... I loved him with all my heart."
Whytock joined students at Mother Margaret Mary High School on Tuesday for a drug-safety presentation by two school resource officers.
Her son graduated from the school in spring of 2016.
The Edmonton high school is trying to protect students from deadly opioids that have killed hundreds of Albertans in recent years.
- Alberta opioid report shows fentanyl deaths still on the rise
- Fentanyl overdoses killed 113 people in Alberta during first 3 months of year
As the officers talked about her son, Whytock sobbed in the crowd. She had planned to share Calum's story, but said she couldn't bring herself to do so.
"I would have told them, trust your parents," she said to CBC News after the event. "If you have a problem, go to them and tell them. They're going to do everything to help you.
"I would have done everything, everything for my son. I would have given my life for him just to help him."
'You're playing Russian roulette'
Const. Brandon Myhre, the school's resource officer, keeps a framed photograph of Calum Whytock in his office.
Myhre said every weekend he worries another student will overdose on fentanyl or carfentanil.
"I treat these kids as my own children, so I can't even imagine how I would feel if that was to happen," Myhre said.
During Tuesday's presentation, he asked those who knew Whytock to stand. Dozens of students and teachers rose from their seats.
"It's a different world now," Myhre said. "You're playing Russian roulette. "Our street drugs have been laced with fentanyl, and people, for the first time of going and doing drugs, are dying."
Nearly 1,000 people in Alberta have died from fentanyl-related overdoses in the past six years, according to Alberta Health statistics.
Popular in News
1 3986 reading now UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance
- 2 1807 reading now Man accused in St. Thomas bat attack is a lawyer from an influential Toronto family
- 3 1482 reading now All 25 passengers on crashed Saskatchewan flight 'accounted for' but some require air ambulance, RCMP say
- 4 741 reading now Alabama's black voters sent Doug Jones to the U.S. Senate. It could be a model for 2018
- 5 728 reading now Kentucky politician accused of sexual assault dies in apparent suicide