British Columbia

Surrey RCMP identify targets of recent shootings for sake of public safety

Assistant commissioner warns public to avoid contact with 5 men whose lives are in danger

Targets of recent shootings Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP have released photos of five men who have been the targets of recent shots fired incidents in Surrey. (Surrey RCMP)

 shares

Surrey RCMP have released the photos of five men who have been the targets of shootings in Surrey over the past five weeks.

Police are taking the unusual step of posting the photos because they believe the men are still targets and are putting the public's safety at risk.

They are warning the public to avoid interaction with the men, who have been uncooperative with police. 

"Although their lives are in danger, they are refusing to provide details to the police. We believe these individuals also know who the suspects are in many of these cases. They also refuse to identify these individuals. As such, these intended victims, themselves, have become a risk to the safety of our city," said RCMP assistant commissioner Dwayne McDonald.

All five men are in their 20s and live in Surrey, Coquitlam or Vancouver.

Surrey shots fired locations in July

McDonald is the officer in charge for the Surrey RCMP. He addressed media Monday regarding the spike in shootings this month. 

"I know the residents of this city are frustrated and I know this has gone on too long, and you want us to do something. I hear all of your concerns and I share in your frustration. We have significant overt and covert police officers assigned to this issue and it remains our top priority," said McDonald.

"We are making headway, and we are aware of who a number of these people are. Our Surrey gang enforcement team, with support from the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit are involved in significant enforcement operations ... to strategically target these individuals related to the drug trade and gang violence."

RCMP assistant commissioner Dwayne McDonald

RCMP assistant commissioner Dwayne McDonald says addressing the recent spike in shootings in Surrey is the force's top priority. (CBC News/Lauren McCullough)

McDonald says despite this recent increase in shootings, they are down 47 per cent compared to the same time period last year. In addition, he says violent crime is also down. 

Police are appealing to the public for information related to any of the recent shootings and ask that people contact Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or call Crime Stoppers. 

They are also warning residents to watch out for unknown, occupied vehicles, idling for long periods of time and to call the Surrey RCMP non-emergency line, if they see something. 

"If we are to be successful in stopping the individuals who are committing violent acts in our city, we need to unite and we are asking the community to join us in this effort," said McDonald.

More On This Story

More from CBC News

Tell us what you think