Want to Write for Us?Follow these steps to success:
- Familiarize yourself with our site and the types of things we publish. Generally speaking, we're looking for these types of stories:
- Send us the following information: a proposed title or headline for your piece, 2-3 sentences elaborating on your idea and explaining where the story will go, and a few sample jokes so we can get a sense of your tone and style. If your piece is time-sensitive or tied to something in the news, let us know so we can prioritize your pitch in our review process.
- If you’re a writer we haven’t worked with before, please include a brief introduction. We want to know who you are, who you’ve written for, and what your comedy background is.
- We will review your pitch and get back to you within a week or so if we’re interested. If we publish your piece, we will pay you for it. Jealous?
• Satire that makes a strong point or takes a brave stance, especially timely or topical stuff that's in response to the news. Our best stories have a clear, original, and fearless point of view on social or political issues.
• Canadiana (satire that is unique to life in Canada, or that a Canadian audience specifically will appreciate). Keep in mind CBC is a national audience, so we tend to avoid regional stories about Halifax bylaws or Winnipeg city councillors that won't resonate with the rest of the country.
• Headlines that contain a joke, so that the story's funny right from the get-go. We don't do lists like "5 reason summer rules" but we might do a list like "5 reasons summer rules even though you're trapped in an underground gulag". The joke should be apparent right from the headline.
Want to submit your video?
The marriage of comedy and video is a blissful one, and we’re always on the hunt for hilarious sketches, original web series and everything in between. Please send us a short paragraph explaining the concept behind your video(s). If we’re interested in posting your work, we’ll get back to you within a couple of weeks.
Have an idea for original content?
If you have an idea for an original series, please read our producer guidelines for digital originals, which you can find here.