Banish the back-to-school woe of seeing a full lunch box, one you've lovingly packed, come back untouched at the end of the day. Whether the kids are too busy playing to eat or a bit picky about eating, here are 9 tips that can help.
- Pack a variety of little snacks. Christine does this with her kids and it helps when they're busy playing and need things they can carry and eat quickly.
- Get the kids to help choose healthy foods they want to eat. Sit down with them at the beginning of each week to make a lunch plan. When it's foods they've chosen, they're more likely to look forward to it.
- Make lunch from leftovers. If they loved dinner, it's a good bet they will love the same for lunch. An easy solution for you too.
- Break out of the sandwich rut. Sometimes a simple change up like pasta or grain salads can keep things interesting for the kids.
- Invest in good containers and throw out any that leak. No one likes a soggy lunch after all.
- Pack a portable cold pack to keep foods at the right temperature and reduce the risk of unhealthy bacteria growing.
- Make snacks and lunches as colourful as possible. Familiar vegetables like cherry tomatoes, chopped carrots and blanched green beans add both nutrition and vibrancy to make meals appealing.
- Use cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into fun shapes. It'll add a smile to any face and who doesn't love playing with their food?
- Create your own snack mixes by mixing and matching favourites from the bulk section. Pack them in containers for a litter-less lunch.
Now that you have the tips, here are some kid-friendly recipes for lunches that actually get eaten.
Sunflower Seed Granola Bars
Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Cranberry Flax Muffins
Streusel Apple Raisin Muffins
Creamy Orange Honey Dip with Fruit
Roasted Carrot Dip
Veggies and Dip
Easy Pita Pizzas
Extraterrestrial Tuna Sandwiches
Grab-and-Go Breakfast Burritos
Smoked Ham, Brie and Cranberry Sandwiches
Melon Kabobs with Creamy Berry Dip
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Crunchy Chicken Apple Salad Sandwiches
Egg Salad Daisy Sandwiches
Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
Party Parmesan Pasta Salad
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Chicken Club Wrap with Garlic Mayo