Skip the cake icing and go for cake dusting! By sifting a bit of icing sugar through a cake stencil, you can create a beautiful pattern on your cakes with very little effort. And making your own cake stencil is easy. Just download our design and follow these instructions.
Materials you'll need
A piece of card stock bigger than your cake
A utility knife
A small fine-mesh sieve
- Download our pdf version of our cake stencil here.
- You want the circle to reach right to the edges of your cake. If you need to adjust the size to fit your cake, you can do this in the options on your printer. Or take it into a local print shop and have them print it out to the desired size.
- Once it's to the size you want, use a utility knife to cut out the design. On our stencil, follow the circle's solid line first then cut out the shapes inside. These will become your stencil.
- Line up the circle with the outer edges of your cake and place your stencil on the cake. Carefully sift the icing sugar over it by spooning about one tablespoon at a time into a small, fine-mesh sieve and lightly shake until the cutouts are filled in with a thick layer of icing sugar.
- Gently remove the cake stencil and admire your beautiful cake!
- Once you get comfortable with our design, you can start drawing out your own stencils. We can't wait to hear what you come up with! Send us your cake pics on Facebook and Twitter.
Try out this stenciling technique on either of these crowd-pleasing cakes: