Voting Terms & Conditions
Battle of the Blades: Voting Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions govern fan voting and the determination of the bottom two competitors on the television series entitled Battle of the Blades ("Battle of the Blades" or the "Production"). These terms and conditions are subject to change at the sole discretion of CBC and Insight-Battle of the Blades 4 Ltd. ("Insight") (CBC and Insight shall be referred to collectively as "Administrator").
Fans must be legal residents of Canada in order to participate.
A. How it works
- Fans can participate in the Battle of the Blades vote by going to www.cbc.ca/battle (the “Website”) during the voting window (see Voting Window below). Without creating an account, fans are allowed to cast one vote per IP address OR cookie (the “Guest Vote”).
- To cast additional votes, Fans must create a unique User Profile (see User Profile below). Upon creating this User Profile, fans can then earn additional votes by participating in Challenges (see Challenges, below). Fans can earn up to 50 votes per voting window. The more Challenges a fan completes, the more votes they earn. Administrator reserves the right to grant bonus votes to fans at its sole discretion.
- Fans are also invited to share votes with their friends. Every time they reach a new ‘level’ (see Levels below) they are granted one additional vote to share.
- The Voting Window (see Voting Window below) will open following the Sunday night broadcast during which all the Battle of the Blades contestants will perform. Fans will then be given the opportunity to vote for their favourite pair of skaters.
- The votes will be combined with the judges score to identify the two skating pairs with the fewest points. The judging panel will evaluate these performances and is entitled to determine which of the two bottom pairs is safe from elimination, and which is to be eliminated from the competition, in its absolute discretion, regardless of the public vote.
- In the event of a tie, the judging panel is entitled to determine the elimination, in its absolute discretion, regardless of the public vote.
- The fans’ vote tally is re-set every week. Votes do not accumulate from week to week. Unused votes do not accumulate from week to week.
- In the final week of the Production (Week 8) the skating pair with the MOST number of votes, determined by the public, will be deemed the winner of the Production.
B. User Profile, Administration & Surveys
- A User Profile is used to identify a fan and track his or her progress through the Battle of the Website. Fans can use either Facebook, Google Plus or an email and password combination to create their User Profile.
A User Profile will store the following information, for the purposes of administering the Battle of the Blades Production:
i. Fan’s Username - Username / Alias as entered by the fan upon registration;
ii. Allegiance - their favourite skating pair as updated throughout the course of the season;
iii. Level - the level that fan has achieved through challenge participation (see below);
iv. Votes Earned - the number of votes that has accumulated each week;
v. Votes Available - the number of votes the user has available to cast each week; and
vi. Votes Cast - the number of votes the user casts each week.,/li>
- The Administrator may contact you regarding the administration of the Battle of the Blades Production including but not limited to the earning and casting of votes, Battle of the Blades events in your local area (if defined), any User Generated Content you have submitted / uploaded to the Website.
- The Administrator may, from time to time, survey you about your experience with the Website. This will be done on the Website. All information obtained in such surveys may (i.e. your response to questions) be used by CBC, Insight and their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities for analysis and marketing.
- Fans must participate in Challenges in order to earn votes. The Administrator will determine how many votes each challenge is worth.
Challenges may include, but are not limited to:
i. Participating in social media activity;
ii. Uploading User Generated Content (submit a photo / video);
iii. Engaging with Website content (e.g. watch a video / read a blog, answer a question correctly to earn a vote);
iv. Participating in polls / quizzes / word twisters and trivia;
v. Attending official Battle of the Blades events; and
vi. Correctly predicting the outcome of the Production (who will be going home each week).
- LIMITS: The number of earned votes that can be achieved for each of the Challenge activities and any limits on the number of times a fan can participate in a particular Challenge will be clearly disclosed at the time the Challenges are announced. Please review carefully to ensure you understand any such limitations.
As Fans participate in Challenges each week, they will achieve certain levels. These levels are:
i. Guest = 1 votes
ii. Pewee = 2 – 4 votes
iii. Bronze = 5 – 14 votes
iv. Silver = 15 - 34 votes
v. Gold = 35 – 50 votes
- The Administrator retains the right to alter the value of each level at its discretions
E. Casting Votes
- During the Voting Window (see below) fans with a User Profile are required to log in and follow the on-screen instructions to navigate to the voting page and cast their votes.
- Fans without an account and User Profile can go to the Website and cast their guest vote. In the event that the ‘guest vote’ has been used, fans will be prompted to create a User Profile in order to earn and cast additional votes.
F. Voting Window
Sundays to Tuesdays, September 29th - November 17, 2013:
- Sunday September 29, 8:55pm ET - Tuesday October 1, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday October 6, 7:55pm ET - Tuesday October 8, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday October 13, 7:55pm ET - Tuesday October 15, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday October 20, 7:55pm ET - Tuesday October 22, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday October 27, 7:55pm ET - Tuesday October 29, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday November 3, 7:55pm ET - Tuesday November 5, 8:00pm ET;
- Sunday November 10, 7:55pm ET - Friday November 15, 5:00pm ET;
The Administrator retains the right to alter the quantity, timing and duration of the Voting Windows at its own discretion.
G. The ‘Mock’ Vote
- On September 22, 2013 CBC will air a two-hour documentary, covering the first three seasons of Battle of the Blades.
- During the week the Battle of the Blades documentary airs, fans may be asked to go to the Website to vote for their favorite moment in the documentary (“mock vote”). This does not relate to Battle of the Blades competition but is designed for Administrator to guage viewer sentiment about this program.
- The mock vote will be at the Administrator’s discretion.
H. Cost of Voting –
- Online voting is subject to standard access charges.
- Administrators and their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities and persons are not responsible for and shall not be liable for difficulties, failures or malfunctions of wireless services; interrupted or unavailable networks, applications or servers; miscommunications, failed computer hardware or software or other technical failures; garbled, lost, misrouted or scrambled transmissions; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in any transmission, communication or report; traffic congestion or for any technical or other problem which may cause the voting to be disrupted or corrupted.
- If for any reason the voting is not capable of being executed as planned, or if there is an infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical or reporting failures, or if any other causes beyond the control of Administrators corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this voting, the Administrators reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to withdraw the transmission of any vote, but are in no way obligated to do so. Furthermore, the Administrators may, but are not obligated to, permanently disqualify any person they believe has intentionally violated these terms and conditions, and terminate or suspend voting at any point and declare the vote results based on the votes up to that point, if it appears that the voting process has been so distorted by hacking, failures, errors or other interference that the results would not reflect actual valid votes should the voting continue. In the event of technical or reporting difficulties with the online voting or phone voting, Administrators reserve the right to review the votes for accuracy and to take any appropriate action, including, without limitation, voiding the votes cast during the time period in which such technical or reporting difficulties occurred, but are in no way obligated to do so.
- Administrators and their respective agents, officers, directors and employees assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to any person or to any other person's computer or other devices relating to or resulting from entering or downloading materials, applications or software in connection with this vote. Administrators are not responsible for telecommunications, network, electronic, technical or computer failures of any kind, for inaccurate transcription or reporting of voting information, errors in any promotional or marketing materials, for any human or electronic error, or for votes or reports that are stolen, misdirected, garbled, delayed by computer transmissions, lost, or late or any other errors or malfunctions of any nature whether electronic, human or otherwise. By creating a user profile, users agree that Administrators are in no way responsible for or liable for and agree to release and hold harmless the Administrators from and against any and all actions, damages, losses, costs, expenses, claims or liability due to any injuries, losses or damages to any person or property related to the Production or Production–related activity. These voting terms and conditions are subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of the Administrator. Notification regarding any such change will be posted at http://www.cbc.ca/battle/voting-terms-conditions
CAUTION: Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage any online service or website, tamper with the voting process, or otherwise undermine the legitimate operation of the voting is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Administrators reserve the right to seek damages and/or other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
J. More information
For more information on how to vote, please visit the Voting Help page.