TIFF: Day 9 lookahead
- September 18, 2009 7:40 AM
- By Arts Online
The late Heath Ledger is a mysterious outsider who joins a traveling theatrical troupe in Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. (TIFF)
The second-last day of TIFF delivers a couple of films we’ve been hearing about for what seems like forever. Still, anticipation is fairly high, especially for one of the quirkiest rock docs ever shot. More on that in a minute.
But first on the docket: Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Destined to be known forever as “Heath Ledger’s final film,” this fantastical tale received lukewarm – if not downright negative reviews – at Cannes. As most film fans know, Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp agreed to fill in for Ledger as a kind of trio tribute, since the Australian hadn’t quite finished shooting his scenes at the time of his death. Homeboy Christopher Plummer plays a character reminiscent of Prospero in The Tempest – interesting because he recently signed on to play that role at the Stratford Shakespearean festival next year. Tom Waits rounds out the eclectic cast.
Fans of quality rock and roll and/or Canadian travelogues – have been waiting a long time for The White Stripes Under Great White Northern Lights, a rockumentary-concert film about that band’s 2007 cross-Canada tour. Trooper, beware! Step back, Blue Rodeo! The scale of this operation puts most Canuck bands to shame: the Stripes went to every province and territory, and even performed a mini-concert on a Winnipeg bus. It easily qualifies as the one of the most imaginative musical treks ever taken in this massive nation. Oddly enough, it’s Jack White’s second TIFF movie in two years, following last year’s It Might Get Loud.
Here’s the just-released trailer, which definitely rawks:
-- Greig Dymond
- This year's TIFF: Precious, indeed
- And thus ends this year's TIFF: the emotionally wrenching Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire wins the People's Choice Award, and Cairo Time gets the nod for Best Canadian Feature.... Continue reading this post
- TIFF: Day 10 lookahead
- Sigh. Sniffle. Yawn. Apply cold water to face. Yes, it’s the last day of TIFF ’09 and intense fatigue has set in. It seems like eons since Matt Damon was here to promote The Informant! But really, it was just... Continue reading this post
- Cleanflix: One way to sanitize Hollywood movies
- Cleanflix is about a highly profitable business that sprung up in Utah about 10 years ago – several video-DVD rental outlets started to provide cleaned-up versions of Hollywood favourites for Mormons who liked movies but didn’t want their families exposed... Continue reading this post