Don't ask Jennifer Connelly about religion
- September 11, 2009 8:33 AM
- By Arts Online
Actress Jennifer Connelly arrives at the gala presentation of Creation at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 10. (Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
I love getting denied -- shut down and talk-to-the-hand-ed by publicists on the red carpet. After six years of covering TIFF, I’m less affected by it now, and having way more fun. Sometimes that means taking the piss when it comes to the bon-cop-bad-cop routine. That’s how it works: the star gazes into your eyes to telegraph a promise of genuine connection, if only for a blink. But one step out of narrow bounds and the publicist snuffs out the magic.
The next moment is crucial. The cool stars override their handlers and take your question anyway. The biggest stars shake their head and throw their hands up as if to suggest, Oh, how I wish little powerless me could do something. Either way, the star shines.
Jennifer Connelly was lovely as always last night, speaking about the joy of working with her real life-husband, Paul Bettany, in TIFF’s opening film, Creation, about Charles Darwin. I then asked her how making the film affected her own beliefs on religion vs. evolution. BAM! The publicist jumped in with, “That’s a personal question, she’s not answering that. Next.” Connelly scrunched up her face cutely as though there was nothing she could do.
The message of my dereliction must have been delivered to hubby Paul Bettany’s handlers, because he was not allowed to even stop at my microphone.
I get it if actors don’t want to answer personal questions. I just wish they would speak that sentiment for themselves. I guess some stars need a thousand more years of evolution before they grow a pair.
-- Jelena Adzic
- This year's TIFF: Precious, indeed
- And thus ends this year's TIFF: the emotionally wrenching Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire wins the People's Choice Award, and Cairo Time gets the nod for Best Canadian Feature.... Continue reading this post
- TIFF: Day 10 lookahead
- Sigh. Sniffle. Yawn. Apply cold water to face. Yes, it’s the last day of TIFF ’09 and intense fatigue has set in. It seems like eons since Matt Damon was here to promote The Informant! But really, it was just... Continue reading this post
- Cleanflix: One way to sanitize Hollywood movies
- Cleanflix is about a highly profitable business that sprung up in Utah about 10 years ago – several video-DVD rental outlets started to provide cleaned-up versions of Hollywood favourites for Mormons who liked movies but didn’t want their families exposed... Continue reading this post