Cleanflix: One way to sanitize Hollywood movies
- September 18, 2009 2:25 PM
- By Arts Online
Cleanflix chronicles the rise and fall of companies that provided "clean" versions of popular movies. (TIFF)
Last night I caught a compelling doc that deserves to find an audience beyond the festival circuit. Cleanflix is about a highly profitable business that sprung up in Utah about 10 years ago: several video-DVD rental outlets started to provide cleaned-up versions of Hollywood favourites for Mormons who liked movies but didn’t want their families exposed to any sex, violence or swearing. Case in point: a lot of these folks wanted to watch Titanic, but without that scene where Leo paints a portrait of the topless Ms. Winslet. Thanks to modern technology, it wasn’t that difficult to add in some clothing for her doomed character.
Things were going along swimmingly: the owners of stores such as Clean Flicks and Flick’s Club were making oodles of cash and the customers were satisfied. But then some A-list Hollywood directors – including Michael Mann and Steven Soderbergh – found out about the rather radical changes being made to their films without their permission or copyright clearance. Needless to say, all heck broke loose.
Directors Andrew James and Joshua Ligairi grew up in the Mormon community and they’ve made a very smart and critical – but never dismissive – film about two vastly different worlds colliding over artistic censorship.
-- Greig Dymond
- This year's TIFF: Precious, indeed
- And thus ends this year's TIFF: the emotionally wrenching Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire wins the People's Choice Award, and Cairo Time gets the nod for Best Canadian Feature.... Continue reading this post
- TIFF: Day 10 lookahead
- Sigh. Sniffle. Yawn. Apply cold water to face. Yes, it’s the last day of TIFF ’09 and intense fatigue has set in. It seems like eons since Matt Damon was here to promote The Informant! But really, it was just... Continue reading this post
- Cleanflix: One way to sanitize Hollywood movies
- Cleanflix is about a highly profitable business that sprung up in Utah about 10 years ago – several video-DVD rental outlets started to provide cleaned-up versions of Hollywood favourites for Mormons who liked movies but didn’t want their families exposed... Continue reading this post