Duane Howard on making The Revenant, stereotypes and DiCaprio's indigenous-rights speech
If you’re watching the Oscars this Sunday, look for Duane Howard on the red carpet. The Vancouver-based First Nations actor will be among the cast and crew of The Revenant, which is nominated for 12 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Howard plays the key supporting role of Arikara chief Elk Dog, who is searching for his kidnapped daughter, Powaqa. Here, he recounts his experience — and why he’s surprised by what ended up onscreen.
Film directed by Alejandro G. Iñárittu is up for 12 Oscars
Popular now in arts
- 47 reading nowModern-day voyageur: This Ontario man is crossing the country by canoe — for the third time
- 6 reading now150 facts about Canada… in 150 seconds?!
- 4 reading nowQuiz: How well do you speak Canadian (English)?
- 3 reading nowCanada: Let's push for more than just polite in 2017
- 3 reading nowMeet Autumn Peltier — the 12-year-old girl who speaks for water