Lesson Plan: For Teachers: Man in Motion World Tour
Conduct a brainstorming session to determine what students already know about Rick Hansen and the Man in Motion World Tour.
Outline the Opportunity
Direct students to the topic Rick Hansen: Man in Motion on the CBC Digital Archives website. They will view the clips "In memory of Terry Fox," "The start of the Man In Motion World Tour," "Halfway around the world," "The Man in Motion comes home" and "Catching up with Rick Hansen," including the Story and Did You Know? sections. As they view, students should look for and write down answers to the following questions:
- Who is Rick Hansen and what is he most noted for?
- What was the Man in Motion World Tour and what prompted Hansen to start it?
- What were the main goals of the Man in Motion World Tour?
- When and where did the Man in Motion World Tour start?
- When and where did the Man in Motion World Tour end?
- How many kilometres did the tour cover?
- What were the positive results of the Man in Motion World Tour?
Revisit and Reflect
Ask students to share their findings. Record their answers on the board or on chart paper. Write the following statement on the chalkboard: "They said it couldn't be done, but he defied the odds."
Have students work in pairs to a) list the challenges Rick Hansen might have faced in his Man in Motion World Tour, and b) list the personal qualities they think would be necessary to overcome those challenges.
Students can write a journal entry about a personal challenge, the steps they took to meet the challenge, and the outcome of their efforts.