Pint-sized teen becomes the first to swim Lake Ontario
In 1891 at a YMCA Training School in Springfield, Mass., a Canadian athletic instructor invented a simple game involving a ball tossed into a peach basket. It would take nearly a century for basketball to gain worldwide prominence and develop its own culture, fashion and vibe. Along the way, Canadians have played a huge role in popularizing the sport, on the street, in gyms and in the professional ranks.
Her amazing success kicks off a renewed interest in Canada for long-distance swimming and a newfound respect for female marathon athletes.
• Due to poor conditions, Bell veered off course and ended up swimming much further than the 51.5-kilometre (32-mile) route straight across Lake Ontario.
• Bell became the youngest person to swim across the English Channel on July 31, 1955.
• On Aug. 23, 1956, Bell became the first woman to conquer the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
• Bell was inducted into Canada's Sports Hall of Fame and the Ontario Aquatic Hall of Fame.
• Bell was born on Nov. 9, 1937, in Toronto, Ont.
Program: CBC Television News
Broadcast Date: Sept. 10, 1954
Guest(s): Marilyn Bell
This clip has poor audio
Last updated: August 23, 2012
Page consulted on August 23, 2012
All Clips from this Topic
The town of New Waterford on Cape Breton Island rises above hard times...
Wilma Downing spends her retirement years happily, coaching basketball...
After six miserable years of losing in Vancouver, the Grizzlies have a...
Montreal street gangs have taken their battles into high schools gyms ...
Three men from Nova Scotia played in the first ever basketball game, r...
Three Somali members of the Ottawa community, all police officers, sta...
Steve Nash is the best point guard in the NBA but is not a typical sup...
Irving (Toots) Meretsky was a member of the only Canadian basketball t...
Dave Smart has led the Carleton Ravens to their 5th straight CIS baske...
Chris Bosh discusses his burgeoning career with the Raptors and his re...
Jay Triano is the first Canadian head coach in NBA history.
In 2009 NBA superstar Steve Nash discusses his off-court pursuits, inc...
In just his second NBA season, Vince Carter has taken the Toronto Rapt...
In 1891 at a YMCA Training School in Springfield, Mass., a Canadian at...