Missionaries in training
The risks are great, but so are the rewards. For over 100 years Canadian Christians have been building schools, healing the sick and feeding the hungry in developing countries. These missionaries honoured their faith by expressing the message of Christianity through humanitarian work. Despite local conflicts and cultural difficulties, missionaries in recent decades have served in the field with courage, humility and the desire to make a difference.
• Many agencies require missionaries to have a minimum of 30 hours of formal Bible study, as well as other preparation, before they embark on a mission.
• Missionary training centres in Canada offer courses lasting from two days to as long as three years.
• Missionaries are generally sponsored by church agencies. They are paid a living wage but are ideally debt-free or owe less than $10,000 before they qualify for service.
• Terms for missionary work can vary from just a few weeks to many years or even a lifetime.
• According to Gateway Missionary Training, a centre for would-be missionaries in Langley, B.C., about 1,750 missionaries return home to North America each year without completing their missions. This can be due to "inappropriate character traits, attitudes, interpersonal skills or lack of adequate preparation."
• Because Canadian missionaries come from a wide variety of churches with a range of missions, it's difficult to estimate how many go overseas each year.
Program: Take 30
Broadcast Date: Nov. 19, 1979
Guest(s): Neil Anderson, Arturo Chacon, Yasuko Kamuro, Judith Ray
Host: Harry Brown
Last updated: March 9, 2012
Page consulted on March 17, 2014
All Clips from this Topic
A missionary wife describes hiding in the jungle to avoid rebel fighte...
A Canadian doctor treats the poor at his mission hospital in Ratlam, I...
Father Donald Campbell finds a vital church in Peru, along with clinic...
Paul-Émile Cardinal Léger of Montreal works with lepers and opens a ho...
A Toronto doctor serving as a missionary in China is reviled at home f...
Each summer, would-be missionaries gather at a centre near Toronto to ...
A Quebec missionary is murdered in Guatemala because his teachings too...
Motivated by faith, Canada's Mennonite Central Committee sends food to...
For Canadians in China, missionary work goes beyond spreading the word...
A 19-year-old church worker describes her work in the slums of Manila.
A medical missionary in Haiti operates a clinic in a converted St. Law...
The risks are great, but so are the rewards. For over 100 years Canadi...