1989: New heart for newborn baby
• Paul Gabriel Bailey Holc received a heart transplant just three hours after birth in California, setting a world record.
• After Behm's birth, doctors heard a strange rustling sigh in his chest. Doctors subsequently discovered that his left ventricle was damaged, preventing his heart from pumping blood to the rest of the body.
• In March 2001, the University of Ottawa Heart Institute held its 10th telethon, raising $3,403,102. Wesley and the Behm family were in attendance to mark the celebration.
• A trailblazer in the field, Dr. Keon also completed the first artificial heart transplant in Canada in 1986. He has received numerous awards including the Orders of Canada and Ontario. He was appointed to the Senate of Canada during Prime Minister Brian Mulroney's term.
• In 1999, 167 heart transplants were performed in Canada.
• A Canadian group of scientists developed the world's first pacemaker in 1950.
• Canada's first heart transplant was performed at the Montreal Heart Institute in 1968.
Also on August 3:
• 1751: Bartholomew Green Jr. sets up the first printing press in Canada in Halifax. The Halifax Gazette is published the following March.
• 1961: Saskatchewan Premier Tommy Douglas is elected leader of the federal New Democratic Party at its founding convention in Ottawa.
• 1996: Donovan Bailey anchors Canada's victory in the men's 4X100m relay final at the Atlanta Olympics. Bailey and teammates Robert Esmie, Glenroy Gilbert and Bruny Surin beat the United States in the race.
Program: CBC Television News
Broadcast Date: Sept. 19, 1989
Reporter: Maureen Taylor
Last updated: February 2, 2012
Page consulted on March 21, 2013
All Clips from this Topic
A Canadian invention revolutionizes treatment for cancer patients.
A new educational program makes its CBC debut.
Telescope discovers the wonders of the deep with underwater exp...
J. Tuzo Wilson, geophysicist and principal of Erindale College (Univer...
A.D. Pickett talks about his life as an entomologist and the current s...
In 1975, scientist Bruce Ames warns of the possible connection between...
News for trivia hounds: an assortment of totally useless but 100% accu...
Scientists unearth a 200-million year old fossil site near Parrsboro, ...
Birders across the continent go into the field every Christmas season ...
Geneticist Richard Lewontin challenges the notion that humans are
The story of an assault by a flat-tailed fiend becomes one of CBC Radi...
The residents of Point au Gaul are puzzled by the mysterious deaths of...
Dr. Wilbert Keon performs the first Canadian neo-natal heart transplan...
The electric eels at the Vancouver Aquarium light up a tree for the ho...