Sudbury's Big Nickel
A giant hockey stick. A big nickel. An historic covered bridge. A history-changing oil well. People pass by these attractions all the time on their travels throughout Canada. Sometimes, tourists trek for days to just to catch a glimpse. Some attractions are monumental, others merely quirky. They are all the stuff of local legend. CBC Digital Archives goes province to province to admire the big things in our big country.
• Birchbark Sign in Algonquin Park
• Spirit Catcher in Barrie
• World's Largest Snowman in Beardmore
• Northern Ontario Logging Memorial in Blind River
• Buckhorn Buck in Buckhorn
• Chimo the Polar Bear in Cochrane
• Big Apple in Colborne
• Loonie in Echo Bay
• Two-Man Crosscut Saw in Hearst
• Husky the Muskie in Kenora
• Miners Memorial, Kirkland Lake
• Tomato-Shaped Information Booth in Leamington
• Big Joe Muffraw in Mattawa
• Voyageur in Mattice
• Floral Clock in Niagara Falls
• Mammoth Cheese in Perth
• The Wall (World's Largest Photo Mosaic) in Port Carling
• Moose Cow and Calf in Sault Ste. Marie
• Jumbo the Elephant in St. Thomas
• Mosquito Carrying a Man in Upsala
• Canada Goose in Wawa
• Thermometer in White River
• Wiarton Willie (groundhog) in Wiarton
• King and Queen sculptures in Windsor
• Springbank Snow Countess (cow) in Woodstock
Program: On the Road Again
Broadcast Date: Jan. 23, 2004
Guest(s): Ted Szilva
Last updated: October 1, 2012
Page consulted on April 3, 2013
All Clips from this Topic
A giant Ukrainian Easter egg (pysanka) is catching the attention of to...
100 years after his death, Jumbo is commemorated in St. Thomas, Ont.
The totem poles in Vancouver's Stanley Park are in need of repair but ...
Leamington, Ont. celebrates the 25th birthday of its tomato-shaped inf...
Shediac, N.B. debates building a giant lobster to commemorate its seaf...
From this Yukon town, all roads lead home.
The giant hockey stick that loomed over Expo 86 in Vancouver is moved ...
George Boycott is a transplanted Australian with a dream that becomes ...
In a province full of mosquitoes, Komarno, Man. boasts the largest one...
The mayor of Glendon Alberta employs the town's Ukrainian heritage and...
Husky the Musky is due for repairs, and Kenora, Ont. is happy to foot ...
The PEI Potato Museum needs a drawing card and decides to sculpt a gia...
A towering T. Rex will soon loom over dino-wild Drumheller.
The Guaranteed Pure milk bottle water tower has dotted the Montreal sk...
Canada Now visits the longest covered bridge in the world.
Winnipeg's famed golden boy is taken down for much-needed renovations,...
Glover's Harbour, Nfld. Built a replica Giant Squid at the very place ...
The man who built a famous northern Ontario landmark in 1964 shows off...
A highly recognizable symbol alongside the Trans-Canada Highway in Moo...
The grand chief that watches over the Mi'kmaq people of the Maritimes ...