1988: Residents flee PCB fire near Montreal
In addition to being scared, the residents of St-Basile-le-Grand are furious. They had lobbied for years to get rid of the makeshift storage facility. And there are hundreds more like it across Quebec which some experts call ticking environmental time bombs. As we hear in this clip from Sunday Morning, many of the residents are still living in shelters. And they are living in fear for their future health, and that of their children.
• By the 1970s it became clear that PCBs were toxic to humans. They were no longer manufactured after 1977. PCB contaminated oil has been stockpiled across Canada since 1978.
• During their manufacture, use and disposal, PCBs can enter the air, water or soil and become a very persistent pollutant. They bind strongly to soil and water sediment, can travel long distances in the air, and do not break down easily in the environment. When they enter the food chain, they accumulate in animal tissue and can be very toxic to fish and invertebrates.
• In humans, PCB exposure often initially causes skin conditions like acne and rashes. It can cause liver damage, and is associated with certain types of cancer. There can also be health problems in the children of pregnant or nursing women who have been exposed to PCBs.
• The St-Basile-le-Grand fire caused 3,000 people to flee their homes. It was 18 days before they could return.
• In addition to the St-Basile-le-Grand fire, several other incidents put PCBs in the environmental spotlight in the 1980s and 1990s. On April 13, 1985, a truck transporting a PCB-containing transformer leaked fluid over 100 kilometres of the Trans-Canada Highway. The highway was eventually torn up, but there were health questions about travellers who had driven behind the truck.
• Also in 1985, PCBs were discovered in a lagoon area of a waste transfer facility in Smithville, Ont., and an expensive "decommissioning and remediation" program began.
• In 1989, British dock workers refused to unload a ship exporting waste from the St-Basile-le-Grand fire to the United Kingdom for destruction. The ship returned to Canada, where demonstrators attempted to stop it being unloaded at Baie Comeau.
• In the 1990s, PCBs were discovered on a sunken barge in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and at an industrial site in the Maritimes.
• All of these incidents led to more strict federal regulations on PCB management. After the St-Basile-le-Grand fire, new regulations were enacted to control PCB waste storage, and a federal PCB destruction program was launched.
• Money was also made available for PCB studies, and mobile destruction facilities were to operate across the country. However, many communities objected to mobile incinerators operating in their area.
Also on August 23:
• 1992: Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and the 10 provincial premiers agree to constitutional changes including an elected Senate, Aboriginal self-government and inter-provincial trade. This preliminary agreement sets the stage for the Charlottetown Accord.
Program: Sunday Morning
Broadcast Date: Aug. 28, 1988
Guest(s): Dianne Cantin, Albert Lantel, Clifford Lincoln, Tom McMillan, Bonnie Robinson, Mary Sergeant
Reporter: Lynn Glazier
Last updated: July 27, 2012
Page consulted on September 10, 2014
All Clips from this Topic
Water experts condemn the effects of municipal, chemical and industria...
An environmental lobby group exposes high-phosphate detergents that co...
Industrial waste and cancerous chemicals lead to a ban on commercial f...
A growing environmental threat is killing fish, trees, lakes... and Ca...
Chemical companies are barred from dumping persistent chlorine polluta...
Locals in the Cape Breton city oppose a 1996 proposal that would use s...
A massive pile of tires is ablaze, and crews from 11 different fire de...
Emergency response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill is too small and...
A millionaire CEO in Toronto is sentenced to one year in prison for po...
A stockpile of toxic waste catches fire near Montreal, sending thousan...
A sour gas leak sparks panic and a mass evacuation in rural Alberta.