Robert Lepage: The weight of success
Director, writer, actor Robert Lepage is one of Canada's most renowned figures in performing arts. Highlights from his astonishing oeuvre include epic plays, The Dragon's Trilogy and Needles and Opium, award-winning films, Le Confessional and Far Side of the Moon, and even rock shows. This Quebec native continues to push artistic boundaries, earning his reputation as this country's creative genius.
• Lepage has a love/hate relationship with the media. "I'm not good at entertainment. I don't give myself to all the interviews, game shows or talk shows. I'm not good at doing show business; I'm a theatre person. I don't reveal anything about my life."
• In 2001, Lepage cancelled a rare press conference for the Festival de théâtre des Amériques because three critics on his "blacklist" were planning to attend. They included theatre critics Robert Lévesque (Ici), Luc Boulanger (Voir) and Stephane Baillargeon (Le Devoir). Lepage said his list wasn't about negative reviews. He said it was for personal reasons but refused to explain himself further.
• Lepage has won numerous awards including the Creation Award from the Conseil de la culture de Québec for overall artistic achievement (1986).
• In 1990, Lepage received France's Chevalier de l'Ordre des arts et des lettres.
• He received both the National Arts Centre Award and the Order of Canada in 1994.
• Premier Lucien Bouchard named him an officer of the Ordre National du Québec in 1999.
Broadcast Date: Feb. 16, 1993
Guest(s): Robert Lepage
Host: Peter Gzowski
Last updated: June 12, 2013
Page consulted on December 6, 2013
All Clips from this Topic
The director talks about his collaborative, 'backward' approach to the...
Lepage symbolizes the new generation of Quebecers.
Lepage takes his collaborative approach to a grander scale.
International cast rehearses for Tectonic Plates.
Lepage becomes the first Canadian to direct Shakespeare at London's Ro...
The burden of Lepage's celebrated reputation.
World-renowned director talks about his future and his latest one-man ...
The renowned theatre director adds opera to his long list of accomplis...
The theatre artist makes his film debut with 'Le Confessional.'
Lepage's isolated adolescence in Quebec City.
Director, writer, actor Robert Lepage is one of Canada's most renowned...