Joni Mitchell's evolving styles
Long before she was a music icon, she was a Canadian prairie girl who loved to paint. But art school wasn't for Joni Mitchell, so she dropped out and joined the folk music circuit. By the late 1960s, her star was starting to soar. Mitchell's musical style evolved significantly over the decades, but her sensitive yet spirited personality has always shone through.
• The 1980s were a time of experimentation and collaboration for Joni Mitchell. She switched record labels (moving to Geffen) and collaborated with synthesizer guru Thomas Dolby, as well as artists ranging from Willie Nelson to Billy Idol.
• Joni Mitchell was also heavily involved in many political benefit concerts and recordings during the 1980s. These included:
- The Ethiopia benefit single Tears Are Not Enough.
- Farm Aid (1985).
- Conspiracy of Hope (1986, for Amnesty International).
- Get Tough on Toxins (Long Beach, 1986).
- Free Leonard Peltier (1987).
- The Spirit of the Forest (1989, for the Brazilian rainforests).
- And Our Common Future (1989, a U.N. benefit).
Program: Sunday Morning
Broadcast Date: July 17, 1983
Guest(s): Joni Mitchell
Host: Michael Enright, Barbara Smith
Reporter: Peter Gzowski
Last updated: June 6, 2013
Page consulted on December 6, 2013
All Clips from this Topic
A folksinger (and soon-to-be hippie icon) named Joni Mitchell explains...
Joni Mitchell discusses how she had to leave Canada in order to be app...
Mitchell had to pay her dues before she hit it big, playing a lot of s...
By the '70s, Mitchell's many musical influences include jazz, Stevie W...
In conversation with Peter Gzowski, Joni Mitchell looks back at how he...
After living in the U.S. for so long, parts of Canada seem foreign to ...
Mitchell talks about the songs on her latest album, and also discusses...
In an interview with Vicki Gabereau, Joni Mitchell discusses the war w...
Joni's formative years included childhood polio, starting to smoke at ...
Don't compare Joni Mitchell to the newcomers on the "jazz bandwagon." ...
Joni Mitchell's paintings draw a huge hometown crowd.
Joni Mitchell's artwork is the subject of the "largest and most lavish...
In 2001, the singer-songwriter is honoured with a star on Canada's Wal...
CBC Radio listeners celebrate Joni Mitchell's 60th birthday with stori...
Joni Mitchell is made a companion of the Order of Canada.
A Joni Mitchell conference and an honorary degree are two indications ...
Long before she was a music icon, she was a Canadian Prairie girl who ...