Karen Kain's wedding
When a journalist addressed Karen Kain as "prima ballerina" in 1974 the dancer quickly corrected him: "I wouldn't go that far." Kain didn't know at the time that she would one day become Canada's most popular dancer. The ballerina from Hamilton went on to draw ovations from international audiences, with performances of "Swan Lake" to the more risqué "Carmen." By the time she retired in 1997 after 27 years as a dancer with the National Ballet, Kain had more than earned the title prima ballerina.
• In her autobiography Karen Kain: Movement Never Lies, Kain said neither she nor Petty thought they would ever get married before they met one another.
• Petty asked Kain out first but it was Kain who proposed marriage to Petty after a romantic dinner in London.
• Kain was surprised at how much media attention their wedding engagement received. She commented on it in her autobiography: "Nothing could have prepared him [Petty] for the proprietary interest that Canadian ballet fans were taking in me, which is probably a good thing or he might have had second thoughts."
• In 1979, Kain also dated actor Lee Majors, best known for his role as The Six Million Dollar Man. The couple split after two years.
• In 1984, Kain and her husband performed a pantomime version of Cinderella. Pantomime in this case is a traditional British family musical.
Program: The National
Broadcast Date: May 28, 1983
Guest(s): Karen Kain, Ross Petty
Host: Bob Karstens
Reporter: Dan Bjarnason
Last updated: January 23, 2012
Page consulted on December 6, 2013
All Clips from this Topic
A 20-year-old Kain tells CBC why she started dancing.
Even royalty comes out for Kain and Rudolph Nureyev's performance in L...
Kain talks about how her ankles sometimes feel like "glass."
Ballet moms Winnifred Kain and Doris Tennant discuss bringing up their...
A media circus shows up for the ballerina's big day.
Kain becomes founding president of the Dancer Transition Resource Cent...
On Kain's 20th anniversary with the National Ballet, she talks about t...
Brian Linehan interviews Kain about self-criticism.
Rex Harrington and Kain Kain demonstrate against Ontario's decision to...
Kain hangs up her pointe shoes.
Karen Kain is the National Ballet of Canada's new artistic director.
When a journalist addressed Karen Kain as "prima ballerina" in 1974 th...