Rhubarb season with chef Derek Bocking
Derek shared some of his favourite recipes with Sonali Karnick, including a strawberry rhubarb mousse pie made with homemade jam. Here's the recipe:
Strawberry Rhubarb Mousse Pies
Start to finish: 1 hour. Makes 6 individual portion pies.
1/2 butter, cubed
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 egg yolks
2 pinch salt
1 1/2 cup strawberries
1 1/2 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar
2 tbs gelatin
1 cup 35% whipping cream
1. To make the crust, mix the butter with the sugar & salt until well combined. Stir in the egg yolks and then mix in the flour one cup at a time. Mix until the dough is crumbly. Press the dough into 6 mini aluminum pie shells. Transfer the shells to the freezer for about 20 minutes to allow the dough to harden.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350F and then bake the shells until they just start to brown, about 20-25 minutes.
3. To make the filling, combine the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar in a pot and add a few drop of water. Simmer on medium-low heat until the fruit is very soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Mix the gelatin with 4 tablespoons water and mix well. Allow the filling to cool a bit and then puree with a blender. As the puree blends, add the gelatin. Let the puree cool down to room temperature.
5. To make the mousse, whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks. Gently fold in half the fruit puree.
6. Once the pie shells have cooled, fill each shell halfway up with fruit puree. Top each pie with mousse and then garnish with one fresh strawberry.
You can find more recipes on his blog, Derek's Kitchen.