Books: March 2013 Archives
Saturday March 30, 2013
The weather is warming up and so might your reading list for the season. Erin Balser, our books columnist at CBC Books has three books to inspire rejuvenation and positive change this season:
Sunday March 24, 2013
Before Saleema Nawaz's first book was even published there were high hopes. It's called "Bone and Bread" and it centres on two sisters, Beena and Sadhana, who grow up above a bagel shop in Mile End. After the death of Sadhana, who dies alone her Montreal apartment, Beena is left to discover a different person than she knew as her sister.
"Bread and Bone" is, it would be fair to say, "much anticipated." Saleema Nawaz has already won acclaim for her writing. One of her short stories won the Journey Prize. "Bone and Bread" is already getting high praise from critics.
Saleema Nawaz spoke with Sonali Karnick in studio.
Sunday March 24, 2013
Michelle Ray didn't start out as a successful business person but after having doors closed and hearing "no" all too often, she turned things around for herself.
Now, she's helping others do the same thing. She's the founder of the Lead Yourself First Institute and is a Certified Speaking Professional. Michelle just released a new book about taking charge of your own life, named after her institute, "Lead Yourself First".
She spoke with Sonali Karnick about the lessons she's learned and how others can use them to their advantage now.
- September 2014
- August 2014
- June 2014
- Sat., 14 – Beerology
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- Sun., 23 – Sina Queyras: Memory x Time = Feeling
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- Sun., 8 – 100 Years of Canadian Railway Recipes
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Sat., 26 – Author Kim Thuy part of CBC's Human Library
- December 2012
- Sun., 9 – Erin Balser: Best of 2012 books
- November 2012
- October 2012
- Sun., 28 – John Ralston Saul's "Dark Diversions"
- Sat., 27 – Erin Balser: spooky Halloween reads
- Sat., 27 – C.S. Richardson: The Emperor of Paris
- Sun., 21 – Alix Ohlin's "Inside"
- Sat., 13 – The Cookbook Club launch
- Sat., 13 – Burma: Rivers of Flavor
- Sat., 13 – Modern Flavours of Arabia
- Sun., 7 – Jonathan Goldstein turns 40
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- Sat., 23 – "The Sweet Sixteen", a true Canadian story
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Sat., 28 – Peter Hobbs: In the Orchard, the Swallows
- Sun., 22 – 1000 awesome things
- Sat., 21 – Mmmm....La Tartine Gourmande
- Sat., 21 – Howard Shrier's new crime novel Boston Cream
- Sun., 15 – Freedom Climbers of Poland
- Sat., 14 – Spring cleaning for books
- Sat., 7 – David McGimpsey talks about Li'l Bastard