Books: July 2012 Archives
Sunday July 15, 2012
A few years ago, MacLeans magazine - the Student Edition - featured a lovely young woman on the cover - and it caught the attention of a soldier in Afghanistan.
He wrote to MacLean's to thank them for the cover, and she became a sort of "pin-up" for the soldier and his fellow-soldiers in Kandahar. The Canadian media nicknamed her The Darling of Kandahar.
They never met. The young soldier died shortly afterward. So that's where the story ended - until Felicia Mihali re-imagined it.
Felicia is a Romanian novelist who's lived in Montreal since 2000. Her new novel - her first in English - is titled The Darling of Kandahar. She'll be presenting it at the Knowlton WordFest next Saturday.
Saturday July 14, 2012
Pasha Malla's debut collection of short stories The Withdrawal Method was a huge success.
Praised as "weird and wild and wonderful," it became a Book of the Year in both the Globe and Mail and the National Post. It also won Ontario's Trillium Book award and was shortlisted for the Commonwealth Prize.
Now Pasha Malla has published his first novel.
It's called People Park. And it's set on a fictional island in the middle of which is a large public park.
Pasha Malla was born on an island too - in St-John's Newfoundland - and now lives in Toronto.
But he also has a Montreal Island connection: he lived here while studying at Concordia University.
This morning, he spoke with Elizabeth Robertson about his latest book.
Saturday July 7, 2012
Looking to get the kids' noses in a book up at the cottage? Sonali gets CBC Books producer Erin Balser's top picks for kids and young-adult summer fiction. (Oh, and they also wax poetic about Archie comics.)
- September 2014
- August 2014
- June 2014
- Sat., 14 – Beerology
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- Sun., 23 – Sina Queyras: Memory x Time = Feeling
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- Sun., 8 – 100 Years of Canadian Railway Recipes
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Sat., 26 – Author Kim Thuy part of CBC's Human Library
- December 2012
- Sun., 9 – Erin Balser: Best of 2012 books
- November 2012
- October 2012
- Sun., 28 – John Ralston Saul's "Dark Diversions"
- Sat., 27 – Erin Balser: spooky Halloween reads
- Sat., 27 – C.S. Richardson: The Emperor of Paris
- Sun., 21 – Alix Ohlin's "Inside"
- Sat., 13 – The Cookbook Club launch
- Sat., 13 – Burma: Rivers of Flavor
- Sat., 13 – Modern Flavours of Arabia
- Sun., 7 – Jonathan Goldstein turns 40
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- Sat., 23 – "The Sweet Sixteen", a true Canadian story
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Sat., 28 – Peter Hobbs: In the Orchard, the Swallows
- Sun., 22 – 1000 awesome things
- Sat., 21 – Mmmm....La Tartine Gourmande
- Sat., 21 – Howard Shrier's new crime novel Boston Cream
- Sun., 15 – Freedom Climbers of Poland
- Sat., 14 – Spring cleaning for books
- Sat., 7 – David McGimpsey talks about Li'l Bastard