Books: April 2012 Archives
Saturday April 28, 2012
Author Peter Hobbs joins us to talk about his new short novel "In the Orchard, the Swallows." The Guardian describes it as "a beautiful, often painful, journey of a young man's doomed yearning for love".
The orchard in the title of this 'perfectly cut jewel of a book' is in northern Pakistan, where the swallows wheel over the branches of pomegranate trees. It is the former home of the main character, a nameless man punished with years in prison because of his love for the daughter of a powerful man. He returns home to recover - and deal with his past.
Peter Hobbs wrote this story in Montreal, though he's actually from England. He launched the book in town this week and dropped by our studio.
Sunday April 22, 2012
Saturday April 21, 2012
Then she travelled the world and became known to her friends as the French girl who talks about food all the time.
When she later set down roots in Boston, the food writer, stylist, and photographer started a food blog. A cookbook soon followed.
La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life is full of beautiful pictures and food that aims to be healthful - but above all, delicious. (It's also good for people who have problems with gluten.)
Beatrice Peltre spoke to Sonali in our studio.
- September 2014
- August 2014
- June 2014
- Sat., 14 – Beerology
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- Sun., 23 – Sina Queyras: Memory x Time = Feeling
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- Sun., 8 – 100 Years of Canadian Railway Recipes
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Sat., 26 – Author Kim Thuy part of CBC's Human Library
- December 2012
- Sun., 9 – Erin Balser: Best of 2012 books
- November 2012
- October 2012
- Sun., 28 – John Ralston Saul's "Dark Diversions"
- Sat., 27 – Erin Balser: spooky Halloween reads
- Sat., 27 – C.S. Richardson: The Emperor of Paris
- Sun., 21 – Alix Ohlin's "Inside"
- Sat., 13 – The Cookbook Club launch
- Sat., 13 – Burma: Rivers of Flavor
- Sat., 13 – Modern Flavours of Arabia
- Sun., 7 – Jonathan Goldstein turns 40
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- Sat., 23 – "The Sweet Sixteen", a true Canadian story
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Sat., 28 – Peter Hobbs: In the Orchard, the Swallows
- Sun., 22 – 1000 awesome things
- Sat., 21 – Mmmm....La Tartine Gourmande
- Sat., 21 – Howard Shrier's new crime novel Boston Cream
- Sun., 15 – Freedom Climbers of Poland
- Sat., 14 – Spring cleaning for books
- Sat., 7 – David McGimpsey talks about Li'l Bastard