Sunday September 21, 2014
Monique Polak's latest book for young adults was written with...young adults. The book was a collaboration with students at Riverdale High School in Pierrefonds. That's what made it a special project for the Montreal author.
Hate Mail is about a boy with autism who is bullied by his fellow students - and his family is too.
Monique Polak joins Sonali Karnick in studio along with one of the students who helped with the book, Hamza Bashir.
Hamza is in Grade 10 and, with others in the class, helped write the book Hate Mail over the last school year.
Saturday September 13, 2014
If you sometimes feel as though you're drowning in all the information coming at you online and everywhere else, here's a life jacket.
It's a new book called The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload.
It's the latest by Montreal's Daniel Levitin. He's an organizational psychologist, McGill professor, and the author of the New York Times best-selling book This is Your Brain on Music.
The Organized Mind delves into all the latest neuroscience, as well as stories of leaders who successfully manage the overload of information.
It also may help the rest of us.
Daniel Levitin joins Sonali Karnick in studio.
Saturday September 6, 2014
Montreal author Kim Thuy's first novel Ru won her a Governor-General's award.
It told a story that reflected her own experience of fleeing the Vietnam War as a child.
But her second novel is the one she describes as more personal.
It's called Man (with an accent over the 'a'), and it's now out in English with another translation by the award-winning Sheila Fischman.
Kim Thuy joins All in a Weekend's host Sonali Karnick in-studio to tell us more about it.
- September 2014
- August 2014
- June 2014
- Sat., 14 – Beerology
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- Sun., 23 – Sina Queyras: Memory x Time = Feeling
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- Sun., 8 – 100 Years of Canadian Railway Recipes
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Sat., 26 – Author Kim Thuy part of CBC's Human Library
- December 2012
- Sun., 9 – Erin Balser: Best of 2012 books
- November 2012
- October 2012
- Sun., 28 – John Ralston Saul's "Dark Diversions"
- Sat., 27 – Erin Balser: spooky Halloween reads
- Sat., 27 – C.S. Richardson: The Emperor of Paris
- Sun., 21 – Alix Ohlin's "Inside"
- Sat., 13 – The Cookbook Club launch
- Sat., 13 – Burma: Rivers of Flavor
- Sat., 13 – Modern Flavours of Arabia
- Sun., 7 – Jonathan Goldstein turns 40
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- Sat., 23 – "The Sweet Sixteen", a true Canadian story
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Sat., 28 – Peter Hobbs: In the Orchard, the Swallows
- Sun., 22 – 1000 awesome things
- Sat., 21 – Mmmm....La Tartine Gourmande
- Sat., 21 – Howard Shrier's new crime novel Boston Cream
- Sun., 15 – Freedom Climbers of Poland
- Sat., 14 – Spring cleaning for books
- Sat., 7 – David McGimpsey talks about Li'l Bastard