D is for Dinner - Chili fit for the Superbowl
Here's Warren Sutherland's recipe for chili that promises to upstage Madonna at any Superbowl party. Your family and friends will huddle around this pot of chili. Sutherland co-owns the SmoQue Shack on York Street in the Byward Market. He'll be serving a fancier version of this chili at the Winterlude Stew Cook-Off at the Byward Market Square on Friday between noon and 2 p.m. The cook-off is a fundraiser for the food education program at the Lowertown Community Resource Centre.
Chili by Warren Sutherland available at The Piggy Market
2.5 lbs ground beef
2 cups dried dark red kidney beans, soaked overnight and strained
2 onions, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 jalapenos, diced small
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 cup beef fat or canola oil
3 Guajillo Chiles
1 cup Kichesippi blonde beer
1 TBSP ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 5.5 oz can tomato paste
1 2.84 Litre can whole tomatoes
1. Chop all veg into one bowl.
2. Sweat vegetables in fat/oil with Guajillos and 1/2 tsp salt until just turning colour.
3. Add beef, season with 1.5 tsp salt, and cook through. Add Coriander and cumin.
4. Add beans and tomato paste, cook 5 minutes, and deglaze with beer.
5. Add canned tomatoes, and simmer for approximately 2.5 hours.
6. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne if needed.