Tina's Birch Patio Recipes
Edmonton food columnist Tina Faiz has these great suggestions from the Birch Patio Cafe at the University of Alberta's Devonian Botanic Garden.
Birch Patio Recipe: Rhubarb Onion Jam
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 4 large yellow onions, sliced
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 cup rhubarb, small dice
• 3/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onions. Reduce the heat to low,
cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted and beginning to colour,
about 40 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and rhubarb. Increase the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring more
frequently, until the mixture turns dark brown and most of the moisture has been driven off,
about 30 minutes.
3. Add the vinegar. Increase the heat to high and cook rapidly until the mixture becomes gooey
and a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan leaves a clear track across the base, about 10
Remove from heat and season with the salt and pepper. Spoon into warm, sterilized jars and
Birch Patio recipe: Roast Golden Beet Soup
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
• 2 cups yellow onion, small dice
• 1/2 cup garlic, minced
• 4 cups golden beets, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
• 2 cups carrot, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
• 2 cups Yukon gold potato, cut into 1" cubes
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until
the onions are translucent.
2. Add the beets, carrots, and potatoes to the pot, then cover the vegetables with cold
water. Turn the heat to high. Once the water begins the simmer, turn down the heat and
simmer gently until the vegetables are tender throughout.
3. Stir in the sour cream and cider vinegar.
4. Blend the soup until very smooth in a stand blender. Strain the soup through a chinois (a
fine mesh strainer...)
5. Season with salt and pepper.
If there's a restaurant recipe you're itching to have, let us know. E-mail us at