Bookmark and Share

Season 4: "Pitchmen"

Airs on Radio One:
Saturday 16 January, 2010 10am
Monday 18 January 2010 11:30am

Maybe it's the DNA. Or too much caffeine at a young age. What is that special gift that enables great pitchmen to part us from our money? And what is that part of us that wants to be pitched? Hold on to your wallet: this week Terry O'Reilly looks at the natural born pitchmen- from the travelling medicine shows of the early 20th Century, to the late-great Billy Mays. He'll explain what separates the true pitchmen- such as Vince "Slap-Chop" Shlomi, from high-octane celebrity spokespeople, such as Priceline's William Shatner. And he'll chronicle the pitchman's ouster from prime time broadcast to the low-rent districts of shopping channels and infomercials.

Listen online streaming audio (runs 27:00)

terrific show!

ashley bohan, January 16, 2010 2:03 PM

Any chance of putting "The Age of Persuasion" on podcasts? My schedule is such that I cannot listen to this fabulous program 'live' and I really miss it.

Cliff Scott, January 16, 2010 5:50 PM

It is not always easy to hear the spoken
word against a background of music.
Music is always louder than speech.

In Pitchmen there is one blast of music
that deafens. I will read it instead.

Thanks. Great programme.

rtouche, January 16, 2010 8:01 PM

I enjoyed the Pitchmen. Your comment about Arthur Godfrey being cautions about criticizing his sponsor made me think of Henry Morgan who had a 15 minute early morning program in New York - late '40's or early 50's. One of his sponsors was Eversharp razors which claimed that using one could take one minute off your shaving time. Every day he had a dramatization of what happened to various people who saved that minute - one example was a man who fell into a manhole that closed one minute later. It was always something awful - a trolley car which hit him and would have passed one minute later.... He was so funny - I remember him all these years later from the days when I was a teenager in her first job. He started me off to work with a smile.

Sally Morrow, January 16, 2010 9:42 PM

Hi guys;
Loved return of AofP, but missed Saturday's(Jan 16th) airing & Monday's got interrupted so my fix is incomplete. Please please set up the streaming audio so I can catch the whole 'cast uninterrupted

Jackie Nelson, January 18, 2010 1:17 PM

I want to listen to podcast of Age of Persuasion Season 4 "Pitchmen" but it doesn't play.

Also on-line schedule shows Age of Persuasion but playing something else in all time zones today.

Hmmm, what's gone wrong?

Tor Fosnaes, January 18, 2010 2:12 PM

What a terrific show. I am just rediscovering CBC Radio and I am hooked hooked hooked!
The age of Persuation was funny, informative and a nice way to enjoy a late morning coffee listeniung to.
Can't wait for next week!
Keep up the excellent work!

David, January 18, 2010 3:03 PM

Will there be a podcast of this episode like there are for the others?

Sherie, January 18, 2010 10:09 PM

I'm hoping the audio gets posted soon as I caught only the end on the radio and I would love to hear the rest. (Also, it's not available on the iPod Touch/iPhone CBC app.)

Lyle Opseth, January 19, 2010 6:08 PM

Loved The Pitchman!

Been following Age of Persuasion ever since it became available online... Terrific show!!

Went to buy the book last week end... and got a signed copy! It's always nice to get a little extra... ;)

Marie-Andree, January 25, 2010 1:22 PM

I am a pitchman and a Showman.

Good job this was very well done.

Thanks Jerry Spalding