Bookmark and Share

Season 3: "Repetition Repetition Repetition"

Broadcast Date July 25 , 2009
Original Broadcast Date March 9 & 14, 2009

Is advertising advertising advertising all about repetition repetition repetition? This week, Terry O'Reilly examines the role 'frequency' plays in ad messages. He'll explain how many times you are meant to see or hear an ad in a given week, and why some campaigns seem to bombard you more than others. He'll also explain how the creative content is what helps some ads run successfully for years, and causes others to wear out their welcome almost immediately.

Another great show anwering some of those questions, that many must ask .
Question How do I ensure Age Of Persuasion makes the cut and stays on the air when CBC starts to make hard decions about what stays on the air.
My fear is that shows not using all CBC staff will be the first to go, no matter the merit of said shows.

Gerrid Gust, March 10, 2009 12:31 PM

... terry : like news, all advertising is local : that "strawberry scream" from chile plays right into the ears of of the soccer fan, i.e. every latino; it "scores a goal" on every play ...

this ain't hockey, mate; that said, yes one play was enough for these ears, but ... when in chile ...

i cut me teeth in aussie commercial radio : thank you for reminding me of the joys and the challenge of the aural picture, in mono; aop is a gem ...

cheers : michael t : versatile voice : san francisco

michael t synnott, March 10, 2009 5:38 PM

I started listening to CBC radio in hope to inprove my english. I understand very well now and my english speaking as also inprove so I guess I could stop listening but I discoverd your programm. Usualy, when my job is over, I rush home. But since a few weeks, I have been looking for some detours or traffic jam to make sure I get your entire programm. I have been found in my driveway just sitting their... waiting for the end of the show.

So I guess thanks are in order. Thank you for entertaining me so well.

A french fan

Alain Croteau

P.S. Please excuse the spelling mistake

Alain Croteau, March 12, 2009 4:10 PM

Love the show.
No better host for such a show.
Thanks

Dave Van De Cappelle, March 14, 2009 12:18 PM

Another excellent show Terry! Recently I was watching a half-hour program on Victoria's A Channel - in that half hour, the same ad for Olay Definity Foam came on 12 times! Three times in each commercial break! The worst example of saturation advertising I have yet witnessed. I would never buy this product anyway, but now everytime it comes on, I am filled with loathing.

Probably not what Olay wanted to achieve.

Looking forward to your next show!

Roel Hurkens, March 14, 2009 3:01 PM

I listened to the "repetition" segment of this series, and really enjoyed it.

One comment: I always chuckled at the "lonely Maytag repair man," ad, but I don't believe I would have kept on appreciating it for long if my Maytag washer hadn't turned out to be such a good product, needing so little repair.

Otherwise, it seems to me, for instance, that businesses which promise customer-friendly service frequently have the surliest staff.

N.B. I have no connection with Maytag or any of their affiliates.

Susan Richards, Ottawa

Susan Richards, March 14, 2009 3:38 PM

You mentioned agency "mistakes" when spots run back to back or in the same break. When I was in the game I was told that local buys and national buys could not be co-ordinated. Great show BTW and try not to miss it. Now I see they are archived, I'll catch them all. Thanks.

Rex Bradley, March 14, 2009 5:01 PM

Dear Terry,
I really have enjoyed this 'Repetition'
It was a lecture fine on advertising. It was a great fun.
Aidan, Port Credit

Aidan S., March 14, 2009 6:45 PM

You didnt even tell us or play us what was the "amazing" repetitive commercial that seemed to be so successful. Tool; you wasted my and other viewers time.

alex, March 14, 2009 7:18 PM

In the last federal election, the Conservative Party ran ads on the CBC's "Free Election Ads" spots. Each spot was for 2 minutes, and the Conservatives ran 4 of their 30 second ads in each spot. So what ads did they run? They had 2 30-second rants about Stephane Dion, so those are the ads they ran in the spot: Ad 1, Ad 2, Ad 1, Ad 2. And each time they got their 2 minute spots, they ran the same two ads, twice. And since they were the party with the most seats, they got the most spots! Even worse than the obvious, condescending, and boring repetition, the ads were supposedly "real comments from real Canadians", which became obviously scripted comments read by actors the more times they were heard. Did the Conservatives think we wouldn't notice the repetition, or were they just too lazy to come up with 2 additional ads? Or did some brilliant ad guy tell them that the repetition was actually a good thing? Go figure.

David, March 15, 2009 3:06 PM

I think a new thing is now happening that advertisers had not anticipated. I am now so sick of hearning the same set of adds every night on my local television newscast, that I am on the verge of not watching anymore. A year ago, I started muting the TV adds (or flipped to other stations). Even that is no longer sastisfactory and I am now reducing the frequency that I watch the newscasts. The good news is that I am discovering wonderful alternatives on the CBC radio network that are not interupted by ads that insult me by thier repetition.

Enjoyed your show.

Billy, March 15, 2009 9:12 PM

This IS one of the BEST programs CBC offers.
Every episode is a GEM!
I thought you were younger than that person in the photo.

myna lee johnstone, April 6, 2009 5:05 PM

I am not great at writing down all of what you say and as seeing it in print is the best way for me to remember, please write a book. Really enjoy your program, hate to miss it, but now I know I can go back and listen again and again. Thanks. Deanne

Deanne, April 10, 2009 9:24 PM

Alex, you're not a viewer, you're a listener. And speak for yourself--my time wasn't remotely wasted. Great show!

Isabel, April 12, 2009 7:12 PM

As someone who generally detests advertising, I am surprised at how I enjoy your show. You mentioned that whenever an ad is repeated in a break, it is a mistake but it happens so often that I find it hard to believe that they could be making that many mistakes. Surely there must be some other reason that this is happening.

Rick, May 11, 2009 4:01 PM

Love this show......can not get enough. Thanks.

Carl Andre, August 15, 2009 7:51 PM

love the show, i seem to be addicted to the sound of your voice
which begs me to ask, have you ever annouced or do voice overs in radio/televison?

tommy daye, February 14, 2010 10:00 PM