Bookmark and Share

Season 3 Episode 2: "Recession Marketing"

Broadcast dates: Monday April 20 at 11:30 am and Saturday April 25 at 4:30 pm
Originally Broadcast: Monday 12 & 17 January 2009

Strange things happen in the Age of Persuasion during an economic downturn. As Terry O'Reilly observes, many advertisers abandon their sense of humour, and often- mistakenly- turn to aggressive, desperate hard sell. Meanwhile, some brands, such as Wal-Mart, McDonald's and SPAM, actually thrive. And a few, courageous marketers know that in tough times, great marketing is counter-intuitive. Terry explains why.

Just in from walking the dogs after staying out later than planned in order to catch "The Age of Persuasion" on my Walkman. Great show! Sorry to nitpik but, one small correction from today's show. Trans Canada Airlines was incorporated in 1937 - not Air Canada. The name was changed from TCA to AC on January 1st, 1965.

Dave Smith, January 17, 2009 5:29 PM

I have enjoyed every show since its start as O'Reilly on Advertising, and have downloaded each available episode to my MP3 player. I'm disappointed that for some reason, someone decided to lower the sound quality of the streaming audio from 192 Kbps in previous years to 64 Kbps this season. It's a noticable difference. How about impoving the sound quality? Please!

Lorne, January 18, 2009 2:17 AM

Working at a winery that deals with relatively inexpensive wine I feel very safe knowing my job is safe after hearing this episode.

Joe Krushelnicki, February 8, 2009 7:35 PM

listening to Mr. Terry O'Reilly for the first time. Impressed by the Amazing Storyline on this podcast.

Srini Saripalli, April 6, 2009 2:51 AM

This show is dope! It's gee whiz. It's bang fresh. It's the new new. The newest latest. It gets in you. It's right there. I like it. Have one. They're good. Tell all your friends, tell the whole bunch. I want to eat it, buy it, I want to put it in my garage and take it out sometimes. Shopping. I want to take this show shopping. Buy it something real nice (like maybe some short visual clips from these incredible archives). Not enough people listen to it. Can't understand. I'm scared it'll get the axe one day. It's so current it's boggling. Syndicate this sucker on NPR. Get it in Europe. It's real good.
p.s. A real good chaser to this Cadillac of a show is academyfilms.com, smugglerfilms.com, rattlingstick.com and also Canadian ad dogs like Jetfilms and Spyfilms and such. Boardsmag too. Is there an episode about "art" commercials and such?

Joe Cobden, April 13, 2009 10:41 PM

I really enjoyed this edition. Played it while traveling from Melbourne to Sydney.

bobcraw@webone.com.au, April 22, 2009 7:46 AM

This show is great, never disappoints!! Thanks for the refreshing weekly dose of quality entertainment. Can't wait for the book:)

Holly, May 2, 2009 11:26 PM