Bookmark and Share

"There's Never a Marques of Queensbury Around When You Need One"

Broadcast: November 27 (Originally Broadcast: January 12th, 2008)

Terry explores the long history of "attack ads" and political dirty tricks, and shows how changing media have changed the nature of election campaigns, from a discussion of issues to an assessment of personalities.

Major campaign ads are assembled by hand-picked "dream teams" comprised of many of the greatest creative minds in the business. Yet somehow these campaigns invariably descend into a paint-by-numbers litany of personal attacks and stratospheric promises.

To voters they're a blight, but to broadcasters, they're manna from heaven: prompting hefty airtime buys from warring parties, and fueling news and political panel shows (who respond in kind: giving free airtime to the more incendiary ads.)

I really enjoy your program! Is there any way you could podcast them?

Ed Lee, January 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Glad to see this great program back on the air. Unfortunately, I'm not usually near a radio when its on, so I would really like to get the podcasts. Your site just says that podcasts will be back soon - when? Will all this new season's shows be available?

Patrick McAuley, January 14, 2008 11:06 PM

I initiated my RSS feed for this program in the hope I could listen to this program on my computer at a time convenient to me. All "permalink" played was a trailer.

My question is whether the "feed" allows me to actually hear the show, and if not, how I might be able to do so by not being available for the "live" broadcast.

Gerry Siemens, January 15, 2008 3:28 AM

This would be a GREAT show to have available as a podcast...the Saturday morning time slot is so inconvenient and I just hate missing this show!

did I mention what a great thing it would be to have it available as a podcast! :)

Weldon Bona, January 15, 2008 3:07 PM

It is great news to have you back. I afraid that your new time will make it very difficult for me to listen to regularly. I am looking forward to your podcasts or alternative ways of listening.
Best regards.

Erdem Yazganoglu, January 16, 2008 12:20 AM

please, Please, PLEASE turn this fabulous important and outstanding program into a podcast. I missed the first one of this season and I am bereft.

Alison , January 17, 2008 11:50 AM

Most of CBC Radio is excellent, but Age of Persuasion stands out. My wife, a former media director, often recognizes Mr. O'Reilly's examples. Is it possible to download as a Podcast, or listen on-line? Saturday morning not always convenient.

John Hart
Peterborough ON

John Hart, January 17, 2008 3:50 PM

I (as the throngs of fellow Canadian. with odd timetables) eagerly await for this program's podcast

Idris, January 17, 2008 4:40 PM

Any chance we'll be able to download these episodes?
I often miss your show because I work most Saturdays :'(

Mark, January 17, 2008 6:43 PM

ARGHHH! I wasn't able to catch this years first episode. It would be wonderful to catch Terry O'Reilly great show on podcast. Any chance that you'll air it again?

P.S. Terry, thank you so much for coming back. I've really enjoyed your shows.

Yolanda Leung, January 18, 2008 12:46 AM

Why can't I listen to the full episode online? I'm currently living abroad and the time difference prevents me from listening to the streaming episode.

I've been listening to archived full episodes from shows like NPR's "This American Life" and "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"... why can't I do the same for my favourite Canadian shows?

Hilary Drummond, January 18, 2008 10:01 AM

Please, please make this a podcast!

happy, January 19, 2008 12:19 PM

What a great show you've created! I really enjoyed past seasons and will likely enjoy this one...maybe it's your honey radio voice? (or the fact you were an NHL tough guy - hehe)

Thanx, Jimmy2dogs

P.S. can this be obtained as a series?

jim fitzmaurice, January 19, 2008 2:40 PM

I was very impressed with the quality of this program on numerous fronts: from the quality of the information to the artistic quality of the presentation and editing. My hats off to Mr. O'Reilly, thank you for such creative, intelligent and savvy work. Another example of the quality and integrity of a clear Canadian voice.

John Ottmann, January 19, 2008 8:06 PM

Thanks for bringing such a great show to the airwaves. Often I find myself parked in the driveway, arrived at my destination and not wanting to go inside for fear of missing a single word. I would love to hear previous episodes of The Age of Persuasion, where can I pick up a CD?

Keep up the good work!

Matt

Matt Rozon, January 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Will there be a podcast for Age of Persuasion?
I'm thrilled you are back on, but sometimes miss the Sat am timeslot.

Dawn Purcell, January 21, 2008 8:51 AM

Terry and all, could you please make this a podcast? It's funny, informative, disturbing, and I force my kids to listen to it (well, forcing isn't true, ever since the 'eat a testicle for kids' segment), but I'm inconsistent in being near the radio at the right time.
I'm a devoted fan, looking for convenient access.

stewart, January 21, 2008 9:40 AM

What torture to hear just a snip of the program. Keep working on the podcast situation and mark me as first in line.

Richard Cooley, January 23, 2008 7:13 AM

Great show! Would love to hear it more but timing is bad. How about a PodCast?

chris leong, January 23, 2008 3:03 PM

Probably the best program on CBC... is there an archives of past shows? Missed a few in the last season and one this season...

gordon lawson, January 24, 2008 6:48 AM

This program epitomizes the best that CBC has to offer a national audience - well researched articulate informative intelligent - its fantastic - can we please have some way of downloading the last season and this season ( or have it available at an alternate time (I find Saturday mornings difficult) (I read the part about podcasts - hope you resolve it soon as this programmes files are keepers!)

Robert George Hendry, January 24, 2008 8:55 AM

I too am hoping that you will make a podcast of this program, or, at least, repeat it at 11:30 on Radio 1 during the week as you have done in the past. Thank you.

Mavis Thresher, January 25, 2008 10:37 AM

Definitely one of the best on CBC today - Is there a way to download the new and past episodes?

I would love to take Terry O'Reilly along on my 45 min walks

The shows are right up there with Vinyl Cafe and can be enjoyed over and over again

L.Nickel, January 25, 2008 11:09 AM

I support all the requests for a podcast. The current time slot is awkward and I haven't been able to listen since the show started up again.

I understand there are issues of financially supporting podcasts, but ads have been used in the past.

One question: What ads would you put at the beginning of a show dedicated to dissecting advertising?

Chris Shepherd, January 25, 2008 12:07 PM

I love this show too and want to also cast my vote to make this program available as a podcast. Unfortunately I only get this when I'm in my car and find I want to listen to it at a time of my own choosing. Easily one of CBC's very best. Congratulations!

Lucas Oldhoff, January 25, 2008 2:21 PM

What 'persuasion' will we have to involve ourselves in to make The Age of Persuasion available as a podcast? This show is one of the most-excellent offerings of CBC... please, please, please let's resolve the podcasting issue and really get something this good... out there!

Reese, January 26, 2008 10:30 AM

As previous petitions I'll love to have this available as podcast. You could do what Ideas program does: sell some (or all) of them.
Can we persuade you!?

Great program

gerardo, January 26, 2008 11:39 AM

ditto ditto ditto

CBC please release this as a podcast ! Including all past shows !!

pault, January 26, 2008 12:40 PM

Please podcast this program!
Great job!

Dwight Organ, January 26, 2008 3:09 PM

Has CBC considered making this available on CD format? This would make for great listening while travelling in car, plane or train.

This series is so interesting and the research and documented history has been done in the typical CBC style that regular CBC listeners have come to expect.

Keep up the great work.

Anne Somerville, January 26, 2008 3:16 PM

With such a great program as The Age of Persuasion .... why oh why is it on such an impossible time ... Saturday morning at 11:30 .. give O'Rielly a second run during the week .. come on folks ... CBC is still the best but get with this program ... at least a repeat....!!!!!!!!!!!!...AAARRGH!!!

cliff germain, January 27, 2008 2:44 PM

Hope you can work out the copyright issues to get this out as a podcast asap!
Great show! Keep up the excellent work.

Pete
Calgary

Pete Hartman, January 27, 2008 3:16 PM

I add my voice to request to create an "Age of Persuasion" podcast! It would be much appreciated. Lesley Russell

Lesley Russell, January 28, 2008 1:16 PM

Sounds like a great program.

Several people have asked for this as a podcast. When will that be available?

Maurice Muise, January 28, 2008 10:51 PM

I love the show, but often can't get to it. Please make it avialable on podcast.
Thank you.

Brian , January 29, 2008 11:05 AM

A brilliant show, but not a brilliant time slot. Saturday at 11:30 is just not a feasible time for me (or most active Canadians) to hunker down in front of the radio for half an hour. Rugby has prevented me from hearing all but the first of this season's shows. PLEASE make a podcast!!!

Nick Waber, January 29, 2008 9:54 PM

This is my favorite CBC show. Can you please, please, please turn it into a podcast??!!

Daniel, January 30, 2008 2:24 AM

I echo all the comments above. Please provide a podcast for this show. I am rarely able to catch the broadcast but would listen every week if I could get the podcast.

Lisa, January 30, 2008 12:59 PM

I really hope you'll make this show a podcast. Last year, I was able to listen to it on Thursday mornings, but I can't listen to it on Saturdays (frankly, because my favourite Radio 2 show is on at the same time). The Age of Persuasion is such a good show, and I hate to misss it. So please, make this a podcast. Thanks.

David C. Norwood, January 30, 2008 1:45 PM

I can't believe The Age of Persuasion is NOT a PODCAST!. It is one of the best shows on radio. I have missed all three of the new episodes as I can't listen on Saturday mornings.
PLEASE, PLEASE make it a podcast and ensure that the first 3 episodes of 2008 are included.
Thanks.

Eleanor Thielke, January 31, 2008 3:11 PM

I have been listening to CBC radio since I was 10, now 8 years later i am finally writing in on a subject.
I would just like to commend CBC and the Age of Persuasion team for another interesting and enlightening show. Sadly I can not listen to this program as it comes on on Saturday! Please make a podcast of this show! Please.

gabby k., February 1, 2008 1:27 PM

I would really like to get this series, either purchasable via the CBC Shop or downloadable via a podcast.

I live in Tunisia (Though I'm Canadian), and have no access to home internet. Thus I can not listen to online. I would gladly buy the season over the shop.

Chris, February 2, 2008 1:15 PM

Yet another vote to have this entire series available for download. Easily one of my 5 favourite series ever produced by the CBC - or anyone else for that matter! Thank-you Terry and team. Please keep it up, and please give us access to your back catalog somehow. I love the irony of how this series feels like a viral guerilla campaign.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike Davison, February 9, 2008 1:22 PM

I love this show. It is always informative and entertaining. And, I agree, Terry sounds great!

Anna Laing, February 9, 2008 8:38 PM

LOVE this show. Thanks for bringing it back.

Jill, February 10, 2008 1:01 PM

I just checked the podcast update and wanted to thank you for your efforts in this area. Like many, I would love to hear season one again. However, the streams of recent episodes are a welcome and generous offering. Good luck with the legal wrangling.

Josiah Cook, February 27, 2008 12:32 AM

Very good program I am telling all my friends about! So happy to have found it online - podcasts will be even better.

How do I get Season 1 and 2 shows?

Keep up the excellent work Terry.

Gabriella Sacchetti, March 13, 2008 2:34 AM

Fabulous show!

I am so glad to have found you online! Always loved listening to you speak, right from the first Writers Workshop that I had the chance to work with you on.

I'll be trying hard to tune in to catch the full shows now.

Laoise Hadley, August 26, 2008 7:21 AM

Whao! This show is incredibly boring. It is non-topic after topics of no interest. The show is about nothing. Stop, already.

Halifax, NS

Jean Comeau, September 5, 2008 5:57 PM

I always like this show, but I found this particular show a bit weak on recent and Canadian examples.

And there are many! Esp. now that the Conservatives are doing attack ads that Canadians claim they hate, but which seem to be quite effective.

So how about a 'take 2' on this show that addresses more Canadian exmaples and why Obama won despite going against all the rules (not doing attack ads and campaigning on positive messages)?

Many thanks.

Kathleen, March 11, 2009 11:58 AM

Any update on making podcasts? I really enjoy the segments and would like to listen to them in the car to and from work.

C Trudel, May 6, 2009 7:37 PM

Some pointless and interesting trivia:

The Marquess of Queensbury, along with inventing the modern rules of boxing, caused the downfall (by accumulating scandalous interviews and various forms of libel) of Oscar Wilde.

Andrew Schick, July 13, 2009 5:13 PM