Bookmark and Share

Season Finale - Six Remarkable Brands

Broadcast Date: June 21, 2008

All the things that capture your eye- and you imagination- in the world around you have one thing in common: they're all brands. In the Age of Persuasion season finale, Terry O'Reilly examines six remarkable brands- and not just 'brands' in the consumer sense. Among them: a media icon, an athlete, a rock & roll band, a toy, a city, and a 500-kilogram land mammal. He'll explain the brand strength behind each, and explore what makes them remarkable. By studying them, Terry explains how this can deepen our understanding of how, and why, people prioritize some things over others.

Subscribe to the podcasts by RSS or by iTunes.

I love the show. As a freelance copywriter I've learned a lot from it. Suggestion: How about a show looking at campaigns that operate on a "local" level -- rather than in the national/international marketplace? Not so easy to do, I know, but it would be instructive. Most campaigns "lobbed" (to quote Terry) at people are locally generated and locally absorbed.

Bob S., June 21, 2008 4:41 PM

for a good season, some laughs, some sober moments and a lot of thought.

What would/could you do with a full hour next season?

And come back earlier, if possible, in September.

And so as the summer sun rises, a bright light at the CeeBeeCee dims until next season.

Now to replay all my Persuasion tapes and re-run your MP3s when the recording was not good here in the mountains of B.C.

Any more reading lists to come other than the one?

Bill Lee, June 21, 2008 7:06 PM

Wonderful programs. The world needs you. Keep it up.

I like your a brand!

Jim P.

James Pawley, June 26, 2008 11:49 PM

Great show. More programs that explore human behaviour with such insite and intrest could save radio.

Ever hopefull,
Thanks

Howard Green, June 28, 2008 4:19 PM

My favourite program!! Please, please, please get it up on a podcast!

thanks
Derek

Derek Smith, July 7, 2008 7:08 AM

Hi
I am always in my car or at home for 11.30 prompt to catch AofP. As someone new to the sales business, it's helpful, and as someone in the Church, it's crucial listening!
Like Brian Goldstein and Eleanor Wachtel,Terry O'Reilly is so good because they are all professionals in other fields who know how to use radio. So different from journalists finding out about a subject from the outside and asking the wrong questions. Still, not to knock the journalists, for we need them to ask important "outsider" questions that an insider could not or dare not ask.
Anyway, fantastic radio, CBC: Age of Persuasion must rank as some of the best in English language broadcasting anywhere. I have taken some shows to my BBC-loving family in Britain, and they are impressed.
I guess I could find out, but are there prizes for this, like the Oscars?
Thanks again, and I look forward to the next season.
Alan in Guelph, ON

Alan Cook, August 2, 2008 10:58 AM

make more cd,s

mike, August 5, 2008 7:25 PM

When can we get podcasts surely U can't expect everyone to sit around mid day Sat for the show
Age of Persistence

Ron, August 18, 2008 9:29 PM

Off topic.

One-time punk pin-up and sometime anarchist John Lydon lead signer for the British band "The Sex Pistols", circa 1977, stars in a £5m TV ad campaign for Country Life butter.

"It's not about Great Britain, it's about Great Butter."

A good ad?

michael thorne, October 2, 2008 10:09 AM

I have just discovered "streaming audio"and I am listening to you on my computer. I would rather listen on my MP3 player. Is there any way I can download the audio to my computer and then to my MP3 ( I guess it would be a podcast then!)

If that is possible, I would not have to glue myself to my office for hours on end to hear your shows! I could be doing something productive -- like purchasing one of the brands that have been so successfully pitched and therefore noted on your show!

Love It!