Bookmark and Share

Royal Jelly

Broadcast Date: March 22, 2008

In the Age of Persuasion, as in all things, some are more equal than others. This week, Terry O'Reilly looks at a handful of gifted individuals- and singular ad agencies- who have done more than change advertising- they've changed popular culture. They are the savants, the gifted, the elect- those with 'royal jelly'. And they cause a $600 billion industry to un-learn everything it had learned about the craft of persuasion.

I thought as I listened to your show today that I must send a note and tell you how much I enjoy it - the subject, the way it is set up and how it is presented. I really enjoy shows that will bring something to the listner, and you are consistant with showing how advertising through the ages has done (or not) that.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Leah Bishop

Leah Bishop, March 22, 2008 10:59 AM

Great show, who'd a thunk an engineering type person would love this stuff? Me.

The streaming audio is not quite as convenient as MP3 but does the job - I can hear missed shows.

Alan Stummer, March 22, 2008 12:38 PM

Interesting that most of the ads you used are for radio-with-pictures.

Are radio less prominent? And is there less national, less common psychic sharing of radio ads?

Great show, just wish the other CBC could do public affairs as well.
Where is today's Nathan Cohen?

Bill Lee, March 22, 2008 2:45 PM

Another great show, even for those of us not in the biz, we recognize some of the names and certainly their products.

... And I'm wondering about that quote from the legend who surfs daily: "better to be a pirate...". Is there a connection between that quote and the name of your firm???

keep up the excellent work

vancouver guy, March 22, 2008 3:04 PM

Just wanted to say love the show although I can't seem to catch it all the time. Wish you were a podcast. I guess I am spoiled with the watch when I want age. Great Show keep it up.

Richard Evans, March 23, 2008 6:08 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, folks. Very, very appreciated.

To answer a few of the questions above;

Vancouver Guy: The "Better to be pirates..." - a great line that I've always loved. But the inspiration for our company name came from the sixties, when the BBC wouldn't broadcast rock and roll, so some enterprising DJs set up "pirate radio stations" on ships and oil derricks out on the ocean, just outside the coastal water lines, so they couldn't be arrested. Always loved that sense of rebellion, hence the name.

Bill - if you mean we used a lot of TV ads in that episode, that's correct. If the audio tells a great story, we use TV. But more than anything, we use great radio ads. And yes, I think radio ads are rarely used across borders, the way TV ads are. It's a funny thing, Canadians don't like hearing an American accent on radio, but nobody has a problem with it on TV.

Terry O'Reilly, March 26, 2008 1:06 AM

Thank you for the most entertaining half hour of my week. The material is confirming and provoking my imagination to new depths of convolution in the world of information and suggestion. Your insights and humor are food for my weary ears. Please keep tickling our sensibilities.

Paul White, March 28, 2008 12:51 PM

I love your program! Please, please make a podcast!

Writing from Germany, March 29, 2008 3:17 AM

I was losing track of the broadcast re-scheduling of "Age" and then when I discovered I could listen to your show off the web-site!...that is just brilliant! I find the content fascinating and the droll delivery just perfect.
PS. my favourite marketing non-starter product was the licorise gob stopper candy unfortunately named "Gorilla Balls" or is that an urban myth?
Keep up the great programmes, every one's a winnah!

Robin, March 29, 2008 2:21 PM

Fantastic show! I was turned on to your program (or is it 'programme'?) by a Canadian colleague, and it was everything she said it would be. Being a child of the TV-era, I have grown up studying the techniques and methods advertisers use to persuade and entertain to get me to buy their products. It was always a game with my friends and family to pick out the 'tricks' used in an ad, your programme takes this to an entirely new and fun level. Thanks and I will be listening via the internet.

Dave from N.J., USA, March 30, 2008 12:26 PM

Even though I find myself of changing stations when certain annoying ads come on; I really enjoy the insight, sense of wonder and wry sense of humour you provide every week on the background of your craft.

Andrew kokelj, March 30, 2008 12:52 PM

I wanted to say thanks to the listeners from afar who have emailed.

To Dave from New Jersey - thanks for tuning in. And you'll notice that the shows are archived now and can be streamed at your leisure.

And to the lovely person from Germany (who didn't leave a name) glad to know we're heard overseas, and hope that you, too, make note of the streamed shows on this site.

And to Robin - have never heard of "Gorilla Balls"- might be an urban myth. I'll ask Mike if he remembers this product. It's sure got a memorable name!

And to Andrew - thanks for the email. Many people write in saying they still dislike a lot of advertising, but like the show. I'll take that as a huge compliment. Cheers.

Terry O'Reillly, March 31, 2008 1:44 PM

Listen to the show and try not to miss an episode. There are times when I am not around a radio or my computer. During these times, I would love to have a poscast of the show. Perhaps an archive of past seasons of the show for all to enjoy whenever they have the time. I realize that I am not the only one who would like to see the show being podcasted as your blog suggests, but I thought I would post my opinion. If I do not post it who will eh.

Kelsi B, April 25, 2008 7:11 PM

What happened to Eaton's? And for that matter, what happened to all the Canadian department store chains? Was it just "branding" that changed us all over to big box stores? I mean, this is a country that was founded, in no small part, by a retail chain -- the Hudson's Bay company -- which after hundreds of years is now in trouble. What went wrong? (or is such a value judgement misplaced?)

Carolyn, August 15, 2008 1:58 PM

I look forward to this show sooo much and I miss it most of the time. I have been listening to the streamed shows but I also can't wait for the podcast.
Vicky, Prince Rupert BC