Bookmark and Share

The Trouble with Big

Broadcast Date: March 15, 2008

In our grandparent's time, "big" was a good thing. "Biggest" was what every brand wanted to be when it grew up; the biggest corporations were benevolent captains of industry. Today, "big" is a curse. The biggest brands become the targets of critical books and documentaries, anti-globalization protests and YouTube ridicule. This week, Terry O'Reilly examines the growing hostility directed at the world's top brands, and how some are finding ingenious ways to be both big and lovable.

Podcast,Podcast, Podcast!
Sooooon!!
Yes I read the podcast problems.
Great show.
Good luck with sorting out the
podcast woes P

paula dane, March 14, 2008 11:27 AM

It was far better last year. The silly sound effects detract from what used to be a very, very interesting and thought-provoking show.

o bertin, March 14, 2008 4:57 PM

These are great programs - extremely instructive and very well constructed.
Thank you.

Ivor Joshua, March 15, 2008 2:35 PM

Outstanding program today... i am looking for the podcast so that i can rehear it as well as share it with others....

thank you for all your good work... now show me to the podcast......PLEASE...

Ted, March 15, 2008 7:01 PM

I love your show Terry! I laughed outloud at the Virgin Corporation Mission statement today, please could you let me know where I can get a copy of it!
Alex

Alex Yates, March 15, 2008 7:22 PM

Podcasts?

I LOVE this show. Whatever I am doing on a late Saturday morning I do whatever I can to get to a radio in time to listen in.

Rolando, March 19, 2008 4:29 PM

Great episode. I, too, wanted a copy of the Virgin mission statement. I couldn't find it using Google or on any Virgin site. For anyone interested, I've transcribed it:

Everybody wants the next great thing -- even us.

So, we are a music store, who became an airline, who became a soft drink company, who became over 200 different businesses all over the planet united by one simple, common thought: we want to do what's never been done before. We want to create stuff that valuable. And honest. And is worth making in the first place. We want to have fun while we're doing it. And... we want our competitors to find us really, completely irritating.

Patrick Gibson, March 27, 2008 8:47 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Makes Mike and I want to run back into the studio and create more shows.

Podcasting is clearly the number one question we get asked, as you can see by this blog. The last stumbling block is the copyright music we use. Until the issue of music and podcasting gets worked out, we remain un-podcasted.

Alex: You asked about the Virgin mission statement. Here it is:

“Everybody wants the next great thing. Even us. So we are a music store, who became an airline, who became a soft drink company, who became over 200 different businesses all over the planet united by one simple common thought: We want to do what’s never been done before. We want to create stuff that’s valuable. And honest. And is worth making in the first place. We want to have fun while we’re doing it. And we want our competitors to find us really, completely irritating.”

Terry O'Reilly, March 27, 2008 11:53 PM

I absolutely love this show! I look forward to every Saturday to listen to the last information I can learn about.
Awesome Job Terry!

Sheila Fildes, April 19, 2008 8:01 PM

You must make this series available on podcast...

Ernie Francis, April 28, 2008 10:13 PM

I've been trying to get the business school at the University of Iowa to acquire these for their library with no luck--if they had been produced in the United States I think they would have been added without question. These programs are excellent, invaluable and entertaining. After practicing as an advertising designer for 30 years even I have learned things I did not know! Terry is an advertising god!

Donald Baxter, Iowa City, Iowa, September 18, 2008 12:51 PM

PODCASTS!! COME ON!!!! This is THE best cbc show! I try SO hard to be in the car Mondays at 11:30 and I hate when I miss it! I would LOVE to have all of these on my ipod to listen to whenever! COME ON PODCASTS!!!

Marci, February 24, 2009 8:09 PM

Great show as usual. I could have sworn in this episode you mentioned Naomi Klein's '1997' book 'Shock Doctrine'. Of course you meant 2007! When can we get some of the earlier episodes from Season 1 on this website!? cheers,

Glenn Warner, May 7, 2009 1:20 PM