Season 4: "Marketing the Unpleasant"

Aired on Radio One: Saturday 2 January, 2010 10am
Monday 4 January 2010 11:30am

They are the ads that make everyone squirm- consumers, media, and especially ad copywriters; ads for the funeral industry, laxatives, incontinence pads, and the queen mother of unpleasant ad briefs- feminine hygiene products. Terry O'Reilly kicks off the 4th season of The Age of Persuasion with an insider's look at marketing the unpleasant, from the strange-but-true history of marketing menstruation products, to Wal-Mart's recent decision to sell caskets and urns online.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 21 | Bookmark and Share

so excited that you're back! can't wait to stream the show (i missed this morning's broadcast, so i'm eager for the link). my radio world just got a little brighter...thanks!

juicygi, January 4, 2010 4:35 PM

When will the season premiere be available here? LOVE this show.

Shaun Campbell, January 4, 2010 5:13 PM

I really look forward to listening to the show.

Michael Cavanaugh, January 4, 2010 6:42 PM

Is there a streaming audio version of 'Marketing the Unpleasant' yet? Or did some lawyer's kid tell his dad that there's really no difference between streaming audio and a podcast (duh!).

I'm on the road a lot and only caught a couple of minutes of it. I downloaded, ahem, 'streamed' the previous episodes, so they're safe, but I MUST be able to get the rest.

BTW, did my idea of exploring the campaigns that went sideways make it to this season's production schedule?

Tell Mike he looked great in bobby sox :-)

You're both wonderful, and I will buy the book.

Will/have you be coming/come out West for a signing? I'll travel as far as Kelowna, but not Vancouver; sorry.

Best wishes,
Kenn Draymon
Oliver, BC

Kenn Draymon, January 5, 2010 12:13 AM

so...all the other seasons' podcasts are up on iTunes, but not this one? Is it a matter of time, because by the looks of past seasons it seems you have solved the copyright problem.

when can we expect to see it in the itunes library?

Bill Pollock, January 5, 2010 1:14 AM

When is the online audio show going to be available? Keep up the great stuff Terry. Love the show.

Blaine Young, January 5, 2010 2:20 AM

Thanks for a great episode. I agree that never putting anything but blue on a sanitary napkin looks good on film although far from reality.
I do remember way back one of our Canadian female medalist skaters was one of the first to promote sanitary napkins back in the 1970's.
Have you considered how these commercials affected how males and females affected gender politics? I think outing these products have caused more problems between men and women in the work force. But hey that is just my opinion as a women studies graduate.
Cheers,
Louise Mahood

Louise Mahood, January 5, 2010 7:20 AM

Hello,
Big fan of the program. My workmates and i listen to the show religously. Just curious if the show is going to be streamed online this season?

thanks
jason

Jason MacDonald, January 5, 2010 9:16 AM

I missed the first episode for the season. Are they going to be available for streaming on the age of persuasion site again this season?

Scott, January 5, 2010 6:08 PM

Will there be streaming audio or, even better, a podcast?

Thanks!

James Fowlie, January 5, 2010 6:54 PM

Glad to hear that the show is back on.

I've noticed that there is no streaming media available for this particular episode.

Does this mean that it won't be available for any of this seasons episodes, or was it just missed for the first one?

coop

Charles Cooper, January 5, 2010 11:50 PM

I am a big fan and listen eagerly for your show (even the repeats).I missed your first show & the repeat and am going to b out of the country for the next 2 weeks.Help! When can I listen to the podcast?

Vivian Heinmiller, January 6, 2010 10:53 AM

Will there be streaming audio or, better yet, a podcast?

Thanks!
--James

James Fowlie, January 6, 2010 11:56 AM

YES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!
STREAMING AUDIO IS UP!

Kelly, January 7, 2010 4:24 AM

Haha, awesome to hear the "It's Patrick, he just took out life-insurance!" quote in the opening.

Adam, January 7, 2010 5:23 PM

So glad to have you back!

Steve, January 7, 2010 10:02 PM

Did I just read that marketing funeral services is LESS Awkward than advertising a period?!?!?!

um, because doing a job that capitalizes off of death (however necessary) is way more socially acceptable than ovulation that doesn’t end in pregnancy.

nakedthoughts, January 8, 2010 2:40 AM

Didn't realize this show was back on the air. THANK GOD!!!!!

Kelly S, January 8, 2010 12:50 PM

On abandoning the hallelujah chorus in an laxative add- good, it should never have been approved in the first place. Not, perhaps, in the same league as the use of a requiem mass in a Toyota truck add (why they thought 'day of wrath and doom impending, heaven and earth in ashes ending', even in Latin, was a good idea defeats me). The use of great music to shill product debases it.

I continue to enjoy the show.

djw, January 9, 2010 1:40 AM

Yes, please podcast. So difficult to be home when this excellent series is broadcast.
cvB

Caryl, January 10, 2010 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

It's good to be back, and we have a great slate of episodes in store for the season.

Kenn- we have a "Persuasion Fail " episode coming up soon.

No podcast news yet, but we are "On Demand" on the CBC iPhone app.

Cheers,