Season 3: "The Myths of Persuasion"

Broadcast Dates: September 5, 2009
Original Broadcast Dates: Monday 4 May 2009 11:30 am, Saturday, 9 May 2009 4:30 pm

In a society whose only real knowledge of the ad business ranges from Darren Stephens in Bewitched to Don Draper in Mad Men, a few misconceptions are bound to crop up. This week, Terry O'Reilly tackles some common myths surrounding the ad business, including the Myth that advertising steers behaviours and trends, the myth that any publicity is good publicity, and the myth that advertising is about spontaneous ideas.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 11 | Bookmark and Share

hi terry, where can i view the johnny bauer hockey puck add. thanks, love the show.

mary- lynn bernard, May 4, 2009 1:18 PM

Can I get a transcript of todays "Myths of Persuasion?

Lucy Fish, May 4, 2009 1:34 PM

Terry. As always, I enjoyed this week's show, but must take exception with your #2 myth bust. Last time I checked Exxon had just reported the largest profit of any corporation in history and Tylenol was still selling rather well - I can't recall your third example. In any case, I think you did a nice job of 'framing' your question to get the answer you wanted - surely another old advertising technique. I look forward to your show each week.

Terry

terry moist, May 4, 2009 3:10 PM

While listening to your Shreddies story I happened to look over at my breakfast shelf and there was a box of "Diamond Shreddies". I can't remember if I paid any attention to the box until the mention of the campaign on your podcast since I am a "Shreddies" man, square or diamond shape. But now I'll be looking at them a whole different way.

Marc Goodman, May 7, 2009 5:34 PM

You suggested in this episode that advertising doesn't create solutions for problems that don't already exist. Maybe you should do a show on how companies cover up problems they are contributing to (environmental?) by advertising or Green Washing their brand.

Rob MacInnis, May 7, 2009 10:28 PM

I like Rob McInnis' idea about exploring green washing. A good example of this is GE, Often in the spotlight for its shift to the moral norms of the times while harboring skeletons like the production of land-mines in it's roomy closet.

After tastefully tackling the issue of religion and advertising in "Selling God", I am sure AoP is one of the few shows that could do it in a balanced manner.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy and look forward to this show. I tell as many people as I can about it.

Jack, May 9, 2009 5:52 PM

I suspect a former Liberal leader would disagree with advertising can't change people's mind. Polls indicated people want a leader with integrity, and this was one thing opponents would agree he had.

I do admit advertising works on me. This is why I always question myself everytime I buy something.

p, May 11, 2009 3:22 PM

I agree with Mr. McInnis as well. I would use as my example the SUV. The SUV was created to get around U.S. vehicle-emissions regulations. It was not needed by the market, but the *marketer* (note: not advertisers), working for the automakers promoted this new kind of vehicle. Nobody needed an SUV.... BTW, on a positive note, I do love the show's Opening....

David Chipman, May 16, 2009 11:41 PM

Please rework the website for this program for internet listeners: the sidebar of episodes does not indicate in which order they should be heard.
Thanks.

Eric, November 9, 2009 10:53 AM

Here are some myths that drive me NUTS!.
1."this is a limited time offer"
Truth:This offer is going to be around for a long time
2."but wait..there's more"
Truth:"There was always more"
3."Operators are standing by"
Truth: They are not standing at all they are sitting comfortably in a chair"

Chris Stele, January 26, 2010 11:48 AM

I love your work. I am trying to find out the one where you had talked about feeding on existing fear using the example of ADT or Brink security...... can you please tell me which one it is. I would like to hear it.

Thanks!