Season 3: "Brand Loyalty"

Broadcast Dates: August 15, 2009
Original Broadcast Dates: April 6 and 11, 2009

Brand loyalty is the greatest prize a marketer can earn. Yet nowadays, it's increasingly rare. This week, Terry O'Reilly explains the tangible- and intangible process of forming loyalties between brands and customers: and what goes into that 'gut' feeling that makes people reach for one brand over another, when all else is equal. He'll explain how brands such as Apple and Harley Davidson cultivated vast tribes of loyal followers, and how it is that some brands prompt disloyalty.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 29 | Bookmark and Share

Re: Karmann Ghia (63)
Join the Club Terry!
I too had one (used)
Driving it was a pleasure.
Yes, it gave a feeling of
a sports car.
I also have enjoyed the part
of the show about the Harley Davidson ( no I didn't drive one)
Love your show. Thank you!
See you next saturday

Aidan Shalivar, April 4, 2009 7:49 PM

I am a big fan of all of the shows. Please keep these shows running for as long as you can.

Robert Wiseman

Robert Wiseman, April 5, 2009 6:56 PM

Why go to school in marketing when you have this show. I wasn't even interested in marketing until now.

Keep up the good work.

Dave Adams, April 6, 2009 10:12 AM

Do you remember the Harley ad, usually emblazened on t-shirts, "Have you hugged your hog today?" I particularly liked it when worn by some 250 lb., unshaven rider.

Carolyn Thompson, April 6, 2009 5:27 PM

OK Terry
I love all of your shows but this one has me obbsessing about Moleskins. I have seen them...never owned one though. Now I feel possessed by the idea of owning one,of giving ones to friends and family for various reasons, possible trips, easter, birthdays, just because. A friend emailed me about moleskins after your show (some one I thought I should buy one for before she departs on her cross country trip of Canada) and she had heard your show and is finding her self in the same predicament that I am and wanted to know if I knew where to get one. We've both been on-line and were amazed by all of the varieties...how to choose?!And have you checked out utube! Who knew?!
So you might want to keep track of the sale trends for moleskin notebooks now that you have gone on about sniffing and fondling and all sorts of other things with you beloved little moleskin. You might want to think about buying stocks in the company! On a more serious note where can I find the quote you read on air from the company about what a moleskin notebook is for. I would love to write that in a notebook to accompany my friend on her trip and maybe in a notebook for myself or all those other people I think would love to have one or should have one.
great show as usual.
Janice
Hope you aren't one of those people that check for spelling mistakes...this is probably full of them. Spelling is not my strong suit as well as typing and you can't spell check on these things.

janice, April 7, 2009 1:37 PM

Well, Terry, thank you for another wonderful half hour. My brand loyalty to Age of Persuasion grows weekly. You promise a witty, insightful, informative, oddly philosophical program about marketing. You deliver week after week after week.

I'm not in sales, marketing or any other industry that would ever conceivably make use of your marketing information, yet I am currently logged on from Switzerland instead of Vancouver Island for my AoP fix because you satisfy part of my identity needs.

No, it's not the twinkle in your sexy blue eyes that keep me coming back each week. It's being part of your tribe that I enjoy. Brand. Loyal.

Molly Eichar, April 7, 2009 5:30 PM

Great show. Being a long time motorcycle rider, I appreciated the segment on Harley Davidson. Harley riders are the most "independently"-branded folks on the planet. One note though. Watch "The Wild One". Brando and most of the other bikers ride Triumph motorcycles.

Todd Graham, April 8, 2009 8:27 PM

Thanks for all the great comments, folks. Very appreciated.

Hi Janice - thanks for your great email. Glad to hear fellow writers are taking up Moleskine notebooks. They are the best. Chapters/Indigo also has a great selection of them. As per your request, here is the quote from Moleskine's Director of Marketing:

Moleskine is culture, travel, imagination, memory, personal identity.

It is a collection of independent tools that accompany everyday and extraordinary events. A Moleskine notebook becomes an integral part of one’s personality.

Moleskine is a notebook that tells a story. Its place in history is as an anonymous keeper of sketches and notes, before they became famous pictures or pages of well-loved books. Moleskine is also a book yet to be written and the notebooks owner is the person writing it.

****************

And hi to Molly, all the way from Switzerland. Love to know people are listening from afar.

Aidan - glad to meet another Ghia fanatic. I love my Ghia, all 60 horsepower. There's nothing more pathetic than watching my Ghia try to go up a steep hill.

Cheers.

Terry O'Reilly, April 8, 2009 9:11 PM

Fantastic show! Such valuable insight into branding...

Each week, you peel back the layers and reveal to us a new layer of how, subtly, unconsciously, every day we are persuaded to buy and remain loyal to products, ideas (god!) and brands.

I hope your show becomes an enduring brand on CBC Radio's line-up.

hannah, April 8, 2009 11:42 PM

I really liked the if you like it so much why don't you marry it comment, it made me laugh.

Holly, April 9, 2009 12:37 AM

Awesome show! I just finished all the past episodes and now I'm jonesing for another fix!!! Hurry!!

viv, April 10, 2009 4:07 AM

I love "THE AGE OF PERSUASION" but why can't I download it to listen on my iPod?

Brian Smith, April 10, 2009 10:41 PM

Re: Repeat broadcast of the 'Brand Loyalty'
It was OK with me; It was stil a pleasure talking about Karmann Ghia and Harley Davidson.
Never get tired of them...

Aidan Shalivar, April 11, 2009 5:46 PM

I love listening to Terry and "Age of Persuasion". It is broadcast out here on Vancouver Island on Saturday afternoons and I often miss it. Are any of these programs available as a Podcast that I can download?

One the most amazing ads I have seen was one from New Zealand - I think? -
for Toyota Trucks. The ONLY word used thought the ad was "BUGGER". A truly brilliant and very simple ad that got the message across that Toyota Trucks are tough.

Please let me know about the availability of a Podcast version of the show.

and keep up one of the most fascinating and easy to listen to shows on the Radio - and I love your voice by the way!

David Saville Peck, April 11, 2009 11:59 PM

Love the show, each and every week...and you made me pull my moleskine out of my drawer...what WAS I waiting to use it for??...

KSD, April 12, 2009 7:25 PM

Hi
I am doing an assignment on Brand Loyalty, and this was by far the most helpful bit of information i obtained. Just wanted to ask you how do you think the economy has affected brand loyalty, and would you loyalty its a dying phenomenon?

all the way from Wales (UK) thanks.

Steve

hi, April 13, 2009 4:17 PM

Thanks for mentioning Buying In (was it *really* so unkind?)

Discovered this show somewhat recently by way of The Sound of Young America, and enjoying it quite a bit. The "Breaking the Contract" episode was very strong -- and I guess it is true that I'm a critical of marketers who break the contract, as that seems to be more routine these days.

I wish you would podcast! But I'll make an effort to keep coming back.

rw / murketing.com

Rob Walker, April 18, 2009 10:49 AM

As an Outside sales rep covering Atlantic Canada for a few differnt promotional product compaines/ Apparel.I certianly see the AFFECT of BRAND Loyalty.Your show is great source of education and company while traveling the roads of BRAND Promotion. Please keep the stories and education coming, I look forward to every broadcast.

Bill Cullen, May 12, 2009 7:16 AM

Never have I followed a weekly radio program, until I heard "Age of Persusaion". It is so compelling, I carry a shortwave radio in my pocket so I don't miss it while at my daughter's riding lessons.

Your way of bringing the world of Marketing to life is unmatched, and is another reason Canadians are so loyal to our "CBC Brand".

Thank you Terry, and please keep these wonderfully educational and entertaining shows coming.

Heath Lunney, May 17, 2009 8:53 PM

I really enjoyed this pod cast of yours I loved the part what you said about the Mac tribe it’s funny how fast the Mac Company is growing. I think it is very interesting how the mac company is selling their products by using stars to get to people to buy everything. I also thought the commercial was interesting how they made the PC look so stupid and not as good as Mac which isn’t true. Keep up the good work. Love Listening.

Jenna, June 3, 2009 9:28 AM

I am in high school and I am being forced to listen to this pod cast I regrettably have to say that I did enjoy it though it had its moments where I found my self laughing and I have to say the way he described the mole skin notebook I am almost feeling obligated in purchasing one my self I really liked how he touched on motorcycles how ever I feel that Harley Davidson’s are the greatest two wheel vehicles made in the world but are still a bit over rated there are custom motorcycles that just leave Harleys in the dust but that’s only because they are custom right?

Sirius Hayze, June 9, 2009 1:19 PM

Thanks for all the great comments.

Sirius Hayze - sorry you're forced to listen to us! But glad you laughed occasionally.

Heath - thanks for that. Music to our ears. Emails like yours make all the hard work worthwhile.

Bill - Love to hear that. We created this show to help people understand marketing. We're thrilled you find it helpful. Thanks for listening!

Terry O'Reilly, August 15, 2009 1:49 PM

I stop doing everything there is to do in Manhattan to listen to Terry speaking through his CBC radio progrogram. I look forward to next week's radio show...

Thanks,
Graham

Graham Red , August 15, 2009 7:13 PM

Terry(-Good luck on the coming hockey season, bye the way)
I've loved all your shows,just a few facts to fix: As a biker of big bikes for over 40 years, ridding ridden just about all brands-including Harley-Davidsons,and Italian,and British brands: the facts are that the ones from Japan have the best quality,power,braking,handling and value. The best. Period. however..)
As with most "moter-heads"-and that includes pilots,bikers, car- guys/gals...whatever is correct,-we're all amateur historians, so...for purposes of accuracy....
In the post WWII period, Harley riders would modify their machines by lighting them-for competion, it was called "bobbing". -The extended fork "choppers" didn't become current until the mid 60's.That's number 1
Willy G, the grandson of one of the founders, picked up on the "Outlaw" image and as you said in your program, turned the company around,but that was a major change in embracing rather than avoiding the outlaw image-it helped too, that all the police departments in the US preferred their cop bikes be Harleys (the image, you know..) That's number 2
Now as a favour to you, your Karman
Ghia can be mofified into a very real sports car. As any Type 1 VW platform there is a vast sea of performance after-market parts such as:an extracter eshaust (big power improvement,runs cooler,sounds even cooler),get a tachometer-all real sports cars do-now even automatic mini vans do,
a conversion kit to fuel injection-again power gain and better fuel economy-or the old school methode-dual carb kit. Alloy wheels and larger tires,stiffer shocks..voila!
This would give you about the same performance as a 1960's-ish Porche,
but with out the "fine German-engineered,by Porche"-headaches
There you go
Gordon on the Wetcoast.

gwall, August 15, 2009 7:56 PM

I like to listen to Terry O'Reilly's prognostications on all things in the consumer world, that material world we live in. But, I want to listen to all the other programs while driving my truck. So, finally, I purchase THE material consumer object: an Ipod, to get at all those pervious shows. Why isn't A of P in podcast? Why? Why? Why not?

Bruce Metzger, August 16, 2009 8:43 PM

Moleskine is not leather bound. I'm pretty sure its paper treated with some kind of petroleum product.

Will, August 17, 2009 2:02 PM

I also love that notebook, but it isn't leather. It's classically processed oiled canvas.

Mrs Brown, August 23, 2009 9:46 PM

I love your show!
I have to admit, I'm a happy 'victim' of the Mac tribe mentality. I've been a Mac addict since the mid-ninties and passionately prognosticate the Mac's virtues to anyone who will listen (and even those who won't). Windows users don't get it! Every time I'm forced to use a PC my skin crawls. Am I really a victim of marketing? Or is it truth in advertising?
Actually, I fell in love (not too strong a word) with the Mac before I heard/saw any of Apple's advertising.

Keep up the good work. I'll keep listening even if you don't mention Apple and the Mac on your shows again but, please do.

I love my iPhone too!

Dennis Glenn, August 26, 2009 9:59 AM

I enjoy listening to your commentary and each time I feel a bit more elevated in my knowledge of marketing. THANK YOU!

Risa Prenick, November 13, 2009 11:18 AM