Season 3: "Big and Small"

Broadcast Dates: August 21, 3009
Original Broadcast Dates: Monday 13 April 2009 11:30 am & Saturday, 18 April 2009 4:30 pm

For more than a century, advertisers have fallen to the lure of hyperbole: over-inflating the importance of their brand. They made cheap currency of claims such as bigger, faster, stronger, better-tasting, harder-working, brighter, softer, newer, more-economical and longer-lasting. As Terry O'Reilly points out, some very small help is on the way. A newer, better, smarter generation of advertisers are finding ways to leverage the 'smallness' of their brand, and still get noticed without hyperbole.

From the classic Volkswagon Campaign

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 8 | Bookmark and Share

Oh and I just had to add a couple comments on how great this week's episode was. I loved the grandiose opening about how this episode was created--brilliant! I think Michael Bay would pay good money for that. And the Star Trek fight theme during the bit about fighting with brand managers--just wonderful! Keep up the great work.

Isabel, April 12, 2009 10:49 PM

Great show, as usual. Please don't stop!

What's the instrumental music in your prologue? Very moving and hyperbolic.

Lee, April 15, 2009 4:11 PM

The Age of Persuasion has captivated me since its inception, and I look forward to the weekly revelations not only about the "ad biz" but also about how I approach life as a product of the subtle and not-so-subtle persuasions I've encountered. I'm always engaged with the topics, and enjoy the witty presentation of sometimes difficult material.

I have to tell you though that the lead-in to this episode (the steadily inflating hyperbolloon) grabbed my funny bone and never let go, so the episode was particularly memorable.

Thanks for bringing us this extraordinary program and for being as candid as you are.

John Cannon, April 16, 2009 5:34 PM

Hi Terry,

I grew up in Minneapolis, and I remember some of those ads from Fallon. One of my favorite radio ads from the 1970s was a series for Burgess Batteries. I'm wondering if that might have been a Fallon ad campaign, too. It satirized all those in-store comparison ads (e.g. Coke or Pepsi). For example, in one ad we were in the local grocery and the announcer says: "Mrs. Jones, as you can see, we have a Burgess battery, and that other battery. We'll take that other battery and drop it into this cup of hot chocolate. (plop) Mrs. Jones, which battery would you rather have in your transistor radio, the Burgess Battery, or that other battery?" To which, Mrs. Jones says: "The Burgess Battery, I guess, but that's not fa..." (Announcer interrupts): "Proving once again, that Burgess is a darn good battery." Burgess battery is long gone, I think. But here I am telling you about it 35 years later!

Love your show.

-Alan

Alan Engelstad, April 18, 2009 2:07 PM

Good to see that the "Amok Time" Star Trek fight showdown between Kirk and Spock still has relevance in the Age of Persuasion...thanks again for another great episode.

Keith Kennedy, April 21, 2009 12:35 AM

Loved the opening!

Elim, April 22, 2009 9:26 PM

Terry O'Reilly is a gifted broadcaster and a marketing guru! Terry and his team always produce a show with very interesting insights on a very complicated subject and manage to turn it into entertainment, now that's marketing, GONE LARGE!

Richard Leavere
Fort Erie ON

Richard Leavere, April 28, 2009 2:55 PM

"Broadcast Dates: August 21, 3009"

Terry is the Voice of the Future!

Dave Balderstone, November 28, 2009 4:04 PM