Season 3 Episode 5: "According to Hoyle"

Broadcast dates: July 18, 2009
Original Broadcast dates: Monday 2 February 2009 11:30am and Saturday, 7 February 2009 4:30pm

Are there "rules" for creating great ads? This week, Terry O'Reilly dusts off the Great Rulebook of Creative Advertising and shares some of its immutable laws, and plays successful ads that... well... mute them. He's show how 'rules' and conventions in ad creative change with time. And he'll share a few ideas he's scribbled in the book over the years, as he explains why- as he's fond of saying- "There are no rules in advertising. Only sins."

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 8 | Bookmark and Share

I enjoy the intimate criticisms that go go in the happy hour of my mind, when I explore the play of advertising jarred by the selling of the psyche to 'it', as well.
This 'rule' below had me stunned for a spell...
"There are no rules in advertising. Only sins."
and I agreed almost wholeheartedly, until the end of my ramble here, and now I can say I don't agree, so fast,...but, then ...well, maybe if I read that this way.....'Only sins' and block the rest out, I'd agree.

Only sins...

Very good point.

lisa montblum, February 2, 2009 4:02 PM

Talk of sin is best left to folks wearing vestments and interesting hats. Thank you for creating these wonderful shows. They're quite stirring and provocative.

Please post higher quality recordings of the programs. They sound so much better at 192 kbps. Is there sense in the 64kbps versions this reason?

You are a treasure. Thanks again for producing these.

How about doing a special about the golden days of postwar Madison Ave? featuring Bernbach, Ogilvie, Della Famina. big band stuff and the birth of rock and roll. thread of chutzpah that runs across the country.

Jacob Reichbart, February 2, 2009 8:23 PM

And the original definition of sin is "missing the mark." How telling! Thanks so much for your wonderful show. It really truly is a gem, filled with incredible information.

Britt

Britt, February 2, 2009 10:39 PM

Thank you so much Terry and crew for the wonderful program. I am just beginning on the path of public relations and marketing and find your program so thoroughly enjoyable, insightful, and entertaining. It is great food for thought as I make my way through the "rule" books. I will be sure to tell my fellow students to listen in.

All the best and thanks again!

Amber

Amber Hieb, February 8, 2009 4:23 PM

I find this degrading to farmers

Firegoat, February 9, 2009 9:08 AM

I was driving home this afternoon, listening to The Age of Persuasion, and was facinated by the idea of "artificial intimacy." Imagine my amusement when the credits were then read to me, Erin. Thanks for making my day!

Sincerely,
Erin St. Jean
Vernon, BC

Erin St. Jean, March 6, 2009 2:31 AM

Great work, well researched

propecia, May 25, 2009 3:33 AM

Thank you for doing this on line. I did not get the opportunity to listen to this earlier and now have added it to my favorites so I may listen to all of them! Working for a small company, I feel the need to be their representative in advertising their product in the way I would myself. To have myself be authenticated and not seem dull.

You really touched some points that I have read many times before. I made a point to not so-much advertise our product as advertise our want to help them with their needs. Thank you.

P Corley, July 18, 2009 4:37 PM